Massive Powerloss and Horrible Gas Mileage - Need some help with this [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Massive Powerloss and Horrible Gas Mileage - Need some help with this

Mojo5390
06-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Just recently (a little less than a week), I just felt a huge difference in my car's performance. At first my car simply would not accelerate like it used to. When I'm my car downshifts from 4th to 3rd on the highway, i would normally be able to jump from 75mph to a higher speed very easily. Now, all I get is my car revving and no increase in speed.
Another thing i discovered was that my powerband was not only effected in the higher rev's but also at some points in the lowers when accelerating from a complete stop (Approx between : 2k - 2.5k) before the Ram Air would kick in and give me a boost.
At higher speeds, my car would have the "Check Engine Light" kick on... but not stay on. It would blink streadily on and off until I lowered my speed. (All while experiencing the power mentioned above).
My gas consumption has been HORRIBLE, as if my car was running way too rich. If anyone has had this happen to them and found a solution or if anyone can shed any light on this, it would be very much appreciated.

AleroME
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
the flashing check enging light is your engine having a misfire.. either check the plugs or plug wires .. usually it'll solve the problem. I went through the same thing. It ended up being a bad MSD plug wire at cylinder 2

Mike Jung
06-29-2004, 05:17 PM
...before the Ram Air would kick in and give me a boost...
lol :newbie:

...At higher speeds, my car would have the "Check Engine Light" kick on... but not stay on. It would blink streadily on and off until I lowered my speed. (All while experiencing the power mentioned above).
My gas consumption has been HORRIBLE, as if my car was running way too rich...

(from thread: HELP! Engine is Vibrating/Knocking Violently and SES Light is blinking (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11916))

From the GA owner's manual:

S.E.S. light flashing = a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increase vehicle emissions & may damage the emission control system on your vehicle.

If flashing:
-reduce vehicle speed
-avoid hard accelerations
-avoid steep uphill grades
-reduce & carry no extra cargo/weight

If the light continues to flash (when driving):
- STOP the car, when safe to do so
- turn car off, wait 10 seconds & restart engine (& prey that the light stops flashing)
- If it doesn't, drive it to the dealer or garage (while following the above notes - if flashing)

(from thread: Code PO300 (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34587))

Flashing SES light also means DONT run car! Possible engine or converter damange could result

Mis-fire = BAD!

Go & get the OBD II code scanned.

Maybe needs:
new spark plugs & wires,
ignition coils,
fuel injector flush/cleaning via fuel system rail (it might be clogged) &/or fuel filter change (it might be clogged & need changing)
new air filter

BAD batch of gasoline
clogged catalytic converter

Flashing SERVICE ENGINE SOON light means severe mis-firing currently happening.

Mojo5390
06-29-2004, 10:49 PM
thank you for the help, this is why I ask here... which is why there isn't a need to call me a NEWBIE!!! I appreciate the help, thanks chief.

Jagey
06-29-2004, 10:56 PM
I believe he was calling you a newbie because you believed the ram air gives you a kick. In reality, ram air does absolutely nothing, it doesn't even give any added power to begin with.