Surge (and not the doomed soda one either) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Surge (and not the doomed soda one either)

SpeedReverend
06-29-2004, 03:12 PM
I've done a little searching around and haven't found a post referring to what I am exactly looking for, so I'll throw this out there. If this is a repost I apologize in advance.

Relatively recently I have come to notice that when I stomp my foot on the throttle on the highway, usually in 2nd or 3rd gear, when the engine gets up to anywhere between 3.5 grand and shift RPMs, the engine will randomly surge forward, however the car actually decelerates somewhat, or at least it does not speed up in proportion to the increase in revs. I am not experiencing any of the other problems that people with slipping trannys are experiencing. For mods I simply have the SLP cat back with a short ram on the engine. I have no idea what this is, but it's bad news I think.

Bob
06-30-2004, 08:16 AM
My 2000 GT did that. Never really did get a straight answer when I brought it to the dealer. The did change something that controlled voltage level, but that was a couple years back now. Never did "break", but it just wasn't right.

Bad324
06-30-2004, 08:50 AM
hmmm im not sure if it is exactly the same thing however I noticed on my trips back and forth to school, I experienced a slight hesitation in between stomping the throttle and actually taking off. I have just learned to live with it since the dealer i dealt with said it was a normal occurence, whether this is true or not i have no idea. But if you find something out I would like to know how to fix it also

CoopGT
06-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Someone can probably explain this better than me but it has to do with the Torque converter & the stall speed of it . The turbine in the tor. converter has to catch up with the engine rpms before it kicks in. Plus the pcm is also down shifting the tranny at the same time.

But what your experiancing is normal.

SpeedReverend
07-01-2004, 07:59 PM
uhh....I guess there might be a few different perceptions of "normal" If you mean for our car, then we just have to deal with it, but everyone with different cars eyes get real wide when it does this, so I don't think it happens to them. I'm doubting that this is in the torque converter because the engine will already be at like 4k in 3rd gear and it will then begin to do this. This is incredibly frustrating. And to correct the first post, the car will shift great, this problem is happening at the top of the gear, up to the RPMs that the trans shifts at (5.8k). The shifts themselves are crisp, but in gear the problem starts.

2002AmSE
07-01-2004, 08:06 PM
4k in 3rd gear, so your going quite a bit higher than the speed limit of most highways?

or are you going about 65mph in 2nd gear at 4k rpm?

Ok, so this happens while its downshifting? But instead of downshifting normally it goes into gear and the engine speeds up while the car slows down?

If the engine is speeding up while the car seems to not be following the engines increase of speed and your going 4k rpm and you have about 3/4 throttle or more and it wasnt doing this before, then yes you have a problem. The problem sounds like your transmission is slipping.

When you said "I am not experiencing any of the other problems that people with slipping trannys are experiencing.", what were those "other problems"?

AaronGAGT
07-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Could even be a possible misfire.

CoopGT
07-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Well sorry I couldn't help. Could you be hitting the rev limiter?

Hexx
07-02-2004, 05:19 AM
There was a recent post about Tq. converters and the "stall" or delay between pushing the gas and taking off.

Bob
07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Try reading this thread -> Tranny Thread (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31187)

One of my responses....

Are you guys noticing this when going uphill? Or is it more noticable going uphill? That is what my car was doing before I sold it. It was into the dealer a couple times for it, and they never completely solved the issue.

All I remember about it is there was an electrical piece to the tranny, and that was registering at a lower voltage that it should have, so there was not a complete vacuum or something when there should have been.

Read here -> Read Me (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5757)

This is what was wrong with my car. The Pressure Control Silonoid.