car surging while trying to accelerate, need advice [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car surging while trying to accelerate, need advice

Darkseid
06-29-2004, 09:59 PM
SIZE=2]Hoping someone could give a gal some suggestions as to what is wrong with my car. I have a 2000 Grand AM GT and just today it started surging as you drive along. It is as if I was taking my foot on and off the gas pedal, particularly bad up the hills. It doesn't lose power or speed, but surges along. I just replaced the fuel pump over a year ago and when that went it was all of a sudden the car just died, so please don't tell me that it is that again... I've also replaced the starter and a gasket where I had antifreeze leaking into my engine and oil tank....I'm thinking either, fuel injection or spark plugs this time? any thoughts would be appreciated.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

CoopGT
06-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Has the fuel filter been replaced ? Just a thought .

I)ark-ChiLD
01-07-2008, 05:53 PM
bump

Panacea
01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Transmission going bad?

videoman
01-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Check up on this thread... might be related.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24465&highlight=surging

BTW,1. you say you had antifreeze leaking into your oil... did you get it fixed?
2. When you idle, do you have any hesitation?

I)ark-ChiLD
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
ok this is what happend...i go to start my car. turns on just fine...get on the road...im doing about 40km. all of a sudden my rev starts jumping between 500 to 2500. i park the car. turn it off...try turning it back up...after 3 seconds turns off...i turn it on again...rev slowly up to 2500 then let go...car turns off...got it towed to the dealer. they said it was because my intake sucked up water and **** into the engine...and that my MAF was dirty. so they cleaned the MAF and the intake and its working fine so far...but i still believe its a spark plug/wire issue...cuz my fender well is completly sealed...and there is a black cover underneath half my engine bay...so unless im missing sumn here...how did all that "water" get in. and no i did not go thru a deep puddle. and i dont believe my mechanic in regards to the intake.

baddad
02-03-2008, 03:33 PM
This is not the reason for yours but someone else might run across this: while driving, hiway or local, when trying to accel the car started surging. Found out the cat was plugged. They are warrantied by the fac for 8yrs 80,000 miles. Also another tidbit, if your car tries to start but won't check the 10amp fuse under the hood, #37. It seems that fuse is somehow tied to the FMS. This info is on an 03 GAGT.

jurgs2007
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
i had this problem last summer.. i thought it was a tranny problem for a while, then i tried a basic tune-up. while i was replacing the spark plugs, a rubber elbow on for the vacuum hose that goes to the front of the engine fell right off, it was cracked and was leaking air. so its a possablility that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

gilzgrandam00
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
this happend to me yesterday im goin to the mechanic now to find out what it could be but i want in a large puddle yesterday and them after that, thats when i happend when i was goin up a hill to my house so could it be that my cai sucked up water let me know guys/gals

Gilz