Window scratches [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Window scratches

HotLikeFire
06-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know if scratches in the windows from the power window assembly in the door (or however you want to word it) is covered by warranty. Im hoping they will fix whatever is scratching up my window and replace the window itself under myextended bumper to bumper warranty. What do you guys think?

luniz
06-30-2004, 08:42 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34816&highlight=window+scratch

read up

Jagey
06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
They replace the window along with some other crap that causes the scratches. They will not repay you for tint if you had it on the window. Your windows WILL start scratching up again, so the best idea is to save all your time and effort, wait till your windows are scratched to hell, and make them change it on the LAST week of the warranty so you can get the most benefit out of it.

HotLikeFire
06-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Why? If the windows scratch again, can't I take it in again and make sure they fix it again? So is this like an unfixable problem?

RedGT2004
06-30-2004, 11:56 AM
welcome to the club...

Jagey
06-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Yeah, you can. I'm just saying its a giant waste of your time taking your car there over and over again, since it is quite a lengthy process and you'll be without a car for a while. Also it costs the dealership about 2 grand CDN to fix the problem according to TSB specs, therefore they will try ANYTHING to postpone it or find an excuse out of it and it will just make you mad.

There are some problems that ALL grand ams have if you look around. Walk around a parking lot, i'm sure you will see all of them

1) window scratches
2) messed up bumper reverse lights
3) GT's with crooked exhausts
4) SE's with half their tail lights burnt out in no specific pattern
5) condensation in headlights

Kdawg207
06-30-2004, 12:06 PM
welcome to the lovely world of GM

Jagey
06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
I could probably list a million other common problems, but the rest you can't SEE if you walk around a parking lot, or I just don't remember because there are too many

HotLikeFire
06-30-2004, 12:29 PM
=( then why do we all own them?

Kdawg207
06-30-2004, 12:40 PM
cuz they're so damn sexy

Jagey
06-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Me because it looks good and it had the most options for the price. Also I was not educated in cars enough at the time to realize that domestic automobiles don't hold their value, and are not built well either.

HotLikeFire
06-30-2004, 01:03 PM
yea I bought mine because it looked great and moved fast enough for the price, plus, it had a moon roof and the speakers sounded pretty good.

BiHStL
06-30-2004, 09:21 PM
We own them for many different reasons. The power, price, look. In a GA, when its modified, it gets looks and compliments, i get em on my taillights alot, everyone wants to know where i got them. The reason i have my GA is because i liked it better then the civic and cavalier that i was about to get, and i still do

I have the window scratch problem, talked to my dealer and got a discount to get it fixed whenever i want, and i will wait because the scratches are very minimal and i diont plan on getting tint soon. Took me a while to talk the dealer into giving me the discount though, i had to b*tch at them for a while but it paid off.

Also, our cars are DAMN SEXY

2002AmSE
07-01-2004, 07:47 PM
You have a 2000, so wouldnt your factory warrenty be up? Do you have a short warrenty from the dealer for buying it used or is it an extended warrenty?

I noticed you are from Maple Grove, I am from Brooklyn Park, so we are pretty close. Which dealer did you get yours from? I got mine from Jim Lupients, and when I was under warrenty I would get it serviced over at Rudy Luthers Brookdale Pontiac.

I haven't gotten the window scratch problem, or at least not yet. It should be covered under whatever warrenty you are on, if its the factory warrenty than it will be.

HotLikeFire
07-01-2004, 08:07 PM
You have a 2000, so wouldnt your factory warrenty be up? Do you have a short warrenty from the dealer for buying it used or is it an extended warrenty?

I noticed you are from Maple Grove, I am from Brooklyn Park, so we are pretty close. Which dealer did you get yours from? I got mine from Jim Lupients, and when I was under warrenty I would get it serviced over at Rudy Luthers Brookdale Pontiac.

I haven't gotten the window scratch problem, or at least not yet. It should be covered under whatever warrenty you are on, if its the factory warrenty than it will be.

I got mine out in monticello. I reallllly don't want to drive back out there to get it fixed. But yea, I bought an extended premium GM warranty. So did Rudy Luther treat you well?

HotLikeFire
07-01-2004, 08:08 PM
We own them for many different reasons. The power, price, look. In a GA, when its modified, it gets looks and compliments, i get em on my taillights alot, everyone wants to know where i got them. The reason i have my GA is because i liked it better then the civic and cavalier that i was about to get, and i still do

I have the window scratch problem, talked to my dealer and got a discount to get it fixed whenever i want, and i will wait because the scratches are very minimal and i diont plan on getting tint soon. Took me a while to talk the dealer into giving me the discount though, i had to b*tch at them for a while but it paid off.

Also, our cars are DAMN SEXY

Which is exactly why I bought it!

2002AmSE
07-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Rudy Luther was very nice about everything and listened and did their best to understand the problems, and I got the car back the same day. My mom brings her 99 grand am into the same place and she has been satisfied too.

HotLikeFire
07-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Rudy Luther was very nice about everything and listened and did their best to understand the problems, and I got the car back the same day. My mom brings her 99 grand am into the same place and she has been satisfied too.
Cool thanks

AznGA
07-02-2004, 10:56 PM
My 2 front scratched windows were replaced under warranty, but they are scratched again, and I don't have warranty anymore. Go figure.

AznGA
07-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Why did I get a Grand AM? I started liking 96-98 GA's. 99+ has lots of improvements. Let's go back to December of 2001 when I got this car. I wanted a sporty looking 4 door with SOME aftermarket. Back then Mazda 6, curent Altima and Accord weren't out yet.

HotLikeFire
07-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Well I don't understand why they just replace the windows, why don't they get in there and move/fix whatever causes the ****ing scratches.

Jagey
07-03-2004, 08:58 AM
the do get in there and move/fix what is causing it as well. I think they widen something and replace some strip. The problem is in the way it was originally designed from the factory, which causes it to happen over and over again.

TjsGirl24
07-15-2004, 02:58 PM
So they will pay to have to windows fixed then if there is the scratches in them? pleawse let me know cause this is making me mad that I go and get a great car and find all of the scratches in the windows....

HotLikeFire
07-15-2004, 03:09 PM
I think its only if you have the warranty. And I don't know if they always give you new windows. Mine aren't that bad yet, but they just sound like crap when they roll up and down, like the motor wants to die or like something is preventing them from gliding up and down smoothly like most other power windows do.

'01GTgirl
07-15-2004, 05:06 PM
well, i'm into my extended warranty by about 2 months and 2000 miles, and the windows are no longer covered....i suggest if you need them replaced, get them done before your original warranty runs out :( stupid dealer...i knew i shoulda got all 4 replaced before the summer......

2002AmSE
07-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I just noticed my mom's 99GA has noticable scratches on its windows, *sigh* :nono:

After seeing that I looked very closely at my car and I see really tiny scuff's but they arent grained into the window.. ...yet :thumbsdow