My project, alot of questions. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My project, alot of questions.

Phyre
08-28-2002, 06:01 AM
Well since ive found out my brother is taking my grand am with him to Austin, i decided im gonna take on a project/learning experience. I cant say what vehicle it is but all i know is its gonna tear some **** up being what it is. Anyhoo i made a list of questions since i dont know alot about this vehicle, and i know alot about the ga cause thats all ive learned. well here goes...

1.) what kind of gains would I expect from exhaust, headers, and performance cams.

2.) How does a caburated(sp?) engine work?

3.) Will a turbo work on a carburated engine? nitrous?

4.) What things can I do without for weightloss (the seats are already gone)?

ok, i cant remember any of the other questions i had, but try and help me out with these...thanks

black99gt
08-28-2002, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Phyre

1.) what kind of gains would I expect from exhaust, headers, and performance cams.

2.) How does a caburated(sp?) engine work?

3.) Will a turbo work on a carburated engine? nitrous?

4.) What things can I do without for weightloss (the seats are already gone)?

ok, i cant remember any of the other questions i had, but try and help me out with these...thanks

Some cars loose and gain performance from an exhuast.. Headers are too expensive at the moment and have NOT been dyno tested for lose OR gain in power, I dont believe there are cams on the market yet... well that would be affordable anyways.

Carb. engines work by jets. INstead of fuel injectors, you have little needle settings called jets. They are a pain sometimes, but when you get the rite setting they can work just as good as a fuel injected engine. Things that have carbs NOW.... Motorcycles and R/C gas models hehe

A turbo will work with a carbed engine. The turbo just runs off exhuast gas and spits air into the intake quicker (go to www.howstuffworks.com for more explanations on a turbo). And Nitrous has been around for MANY years on carb'ed engines!!

Dude ive seen people with TOTALY stripped interiors before. BVut unless this is just going to be a TRACK car... its not worth the .5 - 1 second drop of on your time. You can take out seats, carpet, door panels, trunk stuff, rear seats... ive seen people put in plexiglass windows before. Other things help as well...

Phyre
08-28-2002, 10:40 AM
this isnt for the ga, its for a vehicle with a 3.1 liter engine...its gonna be stripped. maybe ill put a layer of carpet so it wont look bad, but its gonna happen.

black99gt
08-28-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Phyre
this isnt for the ga, its for a vehicle with a 3.1 liter engine...its gonna be stripped. maybe ill put a layer of carpet so it wont look bad, but its gonna happen.

Should have said something hehe.

All depends on what kind of car it is in the first place.

Phyre
08-28-2002, 11:20 AM
dont worry about the vehicle lol ...but what gains would one expect if they got new "performance" cams, new exhaust system, and headers.....also im still not understanding this carburator thing...is the round carburator dealy on the top like the intake?

black99gt
08-28-2002, 11:34 AM
yup.

Tell me what car :duh:

Phyre
08-28-2002, 11:48 AM
sorry, cant say what vehicle, but maybe ill post a pic when i get started :D i have it and i can do whatever the hell i want with it....so if any of you have stuff youve wanted to do with a vehicle...tell me...maybe ill do it =b

iceman
08-28-2002, 11:49 AM
You are asking about performance advice for a car.. And not saying what the car is. How do you expect to get any help?? All are different.

Grow up.

Phyre
08-28-2002, 11:51 AM
jesus...its a 1991 chevy lumina minivan...you will learn to fear it! bwhahah...yeah, but im hoping to have it in the low 14's or high 13's eventually

Phyre
08-28-2002, 11:53 AM
oh yeah, i have access to a garage and an uncle's brother who is like a engine genius like the weird guy from fast and the furious...only hes and old guy...and he has a truck that would eat most cars outta that movie =b

neograndam
08-28-2002, 12:05 PM
Why didnt you just say it from the get go?

Phyre
08-28-2002, 12:06 PM
fear that people would say stuff like "your dumb", "thats not gonna happen" etc....yeah...itd kill my idea...then id be driving another boring new family sedan that i cant touch or mess with.

black99gt
08-28-2002, 12:33 PM
theres not alot you can do for those 3.1's to get em quicker

My dad has a lumina 3.1 hehe

Good luck!

Any mods such as header or exhuast will be a VERY minimal gain.

aleroboy
08-28-2002, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by black99gt
[B]

Headers are too expensive at the moment and have NOT been dyno tested for lose OR gain in power.[QUOTE]

Actually magnacharger dynoed the headers but never released the sheet. No individual has ever dynoed them. And as of right now I'm the only person who has them.
The headers added 18hp and 18Tq.
So far magnacharger will still not release the info.
Also they have been provin to add power, my car is definately faster than before.

As far as being too expinsive, thats personal opnion. Being the only person that has them right now I'm the only one that can say if they are worth it or not. borla was 600 for me to get, Headers are now on sale for 700. and I must say they are totally worth the cost and worth it more than borla.
Also they add more hp per $$ than the magnacharger supercharger does and people still bought that without question.

To each their own I guess

aleroboy
08-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by black99gt
theres not alot you can do for those 3.1's to get em quicker

My dad has a lumina 3.1 hehe

Good luck!

Any mods such as header or exhuast will be a VERY minimal gain.

Go to www.60degreev6.com and reasurch the gen 3 heads off a 3100 or 3400 this seems to add a good amount of power. I personally did this to a 2.8L which is basically the same engine. and it showed soem very impressive gains. cams are available for the 3.1. the best seems to be a crane cam grind number 2030 if I'm not mistaken. the swpa is fairly involved and takes a good amount of time. but the best heads to get are 98+ these from what I'm told are better than the earlier versions.

We found a set form afordable auto parts for 150 shipped.
everything we did to this car costed less than 500 in parts. and he is now putting at the wheels what the car had at the crank stock. he has a very fast 2.8 beretta and dropped over a full second in the quarter mile with the engine work. also the car still had soem bugs to work out when that run was made.