Horn not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Horn not working

chavezgt
06-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Howdy! I've searched for responses to this problem, but so far I'm under the impression that there may not be a readily available answer. My horn does not work. That's it. You can press all you want, but no sound comes out. However, when the door locks, a beep is let out. Different horns? Anyone else had this happen to them - solution? Thanks!
-jchavez

Jagey
06-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Did you overuse your horn by honking at everyone

chavezgt
06-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Funny. I use it about twice a year, and I can probably count on my hands the times I have used it since I bought the car..

Dan00GPGT
06-30-2004, 02:56 PM
The problem is somewhere from your steering wheel to the horn relay that is in the fuseblock under your hood. The BCM has a black wire that feeds ground to the horn relay activation terminal. There is also a black wire that comes from inside the steering wheel and is part of the airbag setup. When you press the horn switch it sends ground to that same wire the BCM supplies ground to. You can check the horn switch in the steering wheel by removing the relay and checking for ground there when you press the horn button. My guess is the horn button is misaligned or broken. You would need to disable the SIR system and check the switch in the steering wheel.

chavezgt
06-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Ungh? You lost me at BCM. It all makes sense, but I have not the tools nor the technical ability to pull this off....I'm guessing a lot of cash to have this looked at??

Dan00GPGT
07-01-2004, 06:09 AM
If the horn doesn't work but the BCM does I would guess one of two parts to be bad. The first being the actual horn switch itself. The horn switch is actually part of the steering wheel airbag module so I don't imagine it being cheap. I also imagine that it is not a good idea to be messing with that particular module to fix the horn. INCREDIBLY STUPID design to put a 5 cent switch inside a $800 part.... STUPID!! Actually it looks like the SIR module has two leads on it. One is for the airbag itself and the other is for the horn. I imagine it's possible that the horn lead could have come disconnected inside the steering wheel so that may be an easy fix if you can get a friend to help you with the removal of the airbag. Beyond that plug though I wouldn't be messing with the bag too much. You need to disable the SIR system using a certain procedure (not hard) and then remove a couple screws to get the airbag module out. If you were closer I'd help you out.

The second would be the clock spring mechanism inside the steering wheel that allows the electricals to enter the steering wheel. That part I KNOW is expensive as someone on ClubGP had to replace it after turning the wheel with it disconnected from the steering shaft.

Sorry I don't have an easier answer to your problem. You could ghetto rig the horn with a new switch very easily as a last option.

chavezgt
07-01-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks for your help, dude. I'll take it in next time I have a free day/money (ha!) - I'll let you know what comes of it.

Molson
07-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Horn not working, watch for finger. :)

nomojo
07-01-2004, 11:12 AM
... You could ghetto rig the horn with a new switch very easily as a last option.

MAN!

I wanna ghetto rig my horn now.

I guess I'll have to go break the one that works now :)

hahahahahah