New Brakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Brakes

GAGT7386
07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Guys I just put on some ceramic pads and got my rotors turned on the front. I now notice a slight squeak when braking at slower speeds was wondering if this is normal??

zerogman
07-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I am not really sure, my best guess is that since your rotors are still factory (At least they are from what you said) and they aren't used to high quality pads, they might not match the fade pattern yet... Might want to try going somewhere not so congested and slam the brakes once or twice, and then see if they squeek still... Also, worst case scenario is that they could've made the rotor surface to smooth when they turned them... (I assume you mean resurface when you say turn) Overall though, is there any noticeable gains in braking performance?

Anywho, hope I was of help! Send PM if you would like more...

- Zero

2000GA
07-29-2004, 08:45 PM
where did you get the pads from? cheap ones will always squeak even if installed right.

nomojo
07-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't ceramic pads wear your rotors sooner?

I always find it cute when those brake shops offer lifetime brakes. Of course the brakes are warrantied for a lifetime, the ones they sell are made out of frickkin kryptonite :) Rather than wear out the pads, they wear out / warp the rotors.

I dunno about you guys, but I'd rather put soft pads on and replace them more often than have to replace rotors frequently. Rotors are expensive :P

GAGT7386
07-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I put these pads on my self. They cost me like $59.00 for a set from autozone. It isn't noticable at high speed breaking only when going like 5 m.p.h.

mfuller
07-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Ceramic pads typically need a bit of heat in them to keep quiet......so you will usually get a squeak or two under low-speed braking.