Coolant Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

BiHStL
07-02-2004, 02:03 AM
I have it now, went to the dealership the opther day and had a machanic look under my hood just to see what it lookied like (didnt want to pay the diagnostic fee), he said i have an external leak, not a BIG deal, he looked at mu oil and said it looked fine so its external for sure, he said i can just wait till my next oil change with them to get it fixed and stuff

Now i check my coolant and oil all the time, oil is a lil dirty but its been like 1,500 miles since the last oil change, coolant really doesnt seem to be dropping, i bought some dexcool, topped it off once like 2 weeks ago and it looks just fine now.

My question is, can i really wait till my next oil change/service to get it looked at and fixed, the machanic said my oil look fine so there should not be any coolant in it . I can see where it is leaking, but i dont seem to be losing much coolant at all, maybe it leaked before and just left a mark, is that possible?

(Sorry for the long post)

2002AmSE
07-02-2004, 10:05 AM
I dont see how it wouldnt be safe, just check your oil often to make sure it is still clean, and watch the coolant level.

If you think it could have leaked and just left a mark, clean the areas that look like they are leaking and then check back later to see if its leaking there again.

Where is it leaking? Could it just have been from the overflow tube or something when the car got too hot at some time?

BiHStL
07-02-2004, 10:30 AM
whats the oil ook like when its ok, i mean it s lookin the same as it has when the mech. checked it, i lil dirty, but good.

2002AmSE
07-02-2004, 10:32 AM
If it starts looking like coolant is in it. Which would make the oil look frothy and/or give it a light cream color.

BiHStL
07-02-2004, 10:36 AM
ohh ok, no the oil seems great still, it is NOT milky or frothy at all, , the mech. told me that their isnt coolant and if there was it would have froth on the cap.

Thanks for the help man

Hexx
07-02-2004, 10:51 AM
I was in the situation you are in. Just keep checking the oil...you will be set. If coolant was in the oil it would have that foamy crap you are talking about.

AznGA
07-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Mine leaks externally too. Very slow though. It's been over a year. But the wierd thing is, my oil is never milky and I added coolent only 3 times ever since I got this car new.

BiHStL
07-02-2004, 02:24 PM
yeah man sounds like we have the external leak, mine is very slow just like yours AZNGA

RiChWhA
07-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Before you get it fixed, call Pontiac customer service. Do a search on here and you can read what i said to get it done for free.

AznGA
07-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Before you get it fixed, call Pontiac customer service. Do a search on here and you can read what i said to get it done for free.
Did it get fixed then for free?

buffbison
07-03-2004, 09:04 PM
your better off switching back to the traditional green coolant.. the dexcool is very corrosive, and is becoming very problematic among GM cars.

(and yes, you can use regular green coolant in these newer cars, even though GM states to use only dexcool....)

dcb2001gt
07-11-2004, 09:07 AM
There is nothing wrong with the Dex-cool. If you would do some real investigative work you would find that it is in the angles of the engine design that causes the leaks not the coolant. This is about the most absurd piece of infomation on this site. I have been running dex-cool in both of my cars one of them being my winter car a 1993 mazda 626 and I have had no problems in the mazda. I did have the lower intake gasket problem with the GA but that is normal due to design issues and inferior gaskets being used by GM to save 3 cents per gasket during manufacturing.

buffbison
07-11-2004, 11:39 AM
The problem with dexcool, the main ingrediate is carboxylate, which is derived from organic materials(although carboxylate is suppose to keep the metals parts from corrosion). Conventional antifreeze formulations, however, contain non-organic materials..... the difference is with dexcool, under certain conditions and circumstances (such as impurities reaching inside the storage tank/radiator) and the constant warming up the engine from cold, to extreme heat, in over time reacts with the carboxylate, which actually degrades the dexcool faster, than the convential antifreeze, thus causes acidic build up along the metal & gaskets. (i.e. water pump) which is the reason why we are having problems... The problem very well could be from design flaws like you've mention, which would allow impurities reach into the coolant system. but however, these flaws still exist and there are no fixes whatsoever by GM. so in order for GM owners to fully protect their cars, it is best to switch to the convential antifreeze, or change their dexcool coolant more frequent, than every 150k miles, depending on driving conditions and so forth.