Bad smell...brakes? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad smell...brakes?

Hexx
07-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Pads are still good...or at least they aren't sqealing yet. They have a decent amount of meat on them still. My rotors are warped I know that much, just haven't got the $$ to fix them yet.

Anyways, the other day I was following my brother to the GM dealer so he can drop off his car. I was brakeing pretty hard on the drive and so was he (I won't get into details...not a race story here).

ANNNYways. We get to the dealer and I smell this nasty smell...like a burning clutch smell. Both of us have autos. Bro said it was his brakes because his right wheel bearing is dead (hence why it's at the dealer). I swear it was coming from my car but I couldn't pin point it. So I got close to his tire/rotor area and it did smell, but not as strong as when I turned on my vents in my car. Thought it was my engine, opened it up but couldn't find where it was coming from (at this point the smell kinda went away).

So I thought it was his car.

Last night I had some heavy brakeing again while going to a friends house...about a 30 min drive. Got to her house....that smell again. I didn't spend time to look for it, but the girls thought it was the brakes as well (due to the heavy brakeing).

I can not pinpoint where the smell is coming from on my car...it's only when I am driveing hard. Could it be anything with the brakes, transmission, serp. belt (which has just started to crack in a few places)?

TIA and sorry for the long post.

RyanB
07-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Well I would take it in as soon as possible but i have had a smell before in previous cars but it came from the exhaust so i dont know what to tell you maybe check to see if youa re not leaking brake fluid.

PACE
07-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Whenever I drive hard my brakes get stinky....no biggie. That means they are doing their job! :)

eric99gt
07-02-2004, 12:01 PM
pretty sure it's your brakes. no sweat. just watch for the dreaded warped rotors

Hexx
07-02-2004, 12:06 PM
pretty sure it's your brakes. no sweat. just watch for the dreaded warped rotors

Next payday I'm ordering powerslots for the front with ceramic pads...Unless someone knows a better deal (I've heard not so good things about the Bremo rotors on ebay).

eric99gt
07-02-2004, 12:11 PM
powerslots here....no problems after 40,000

brsexton
07-02-2004, 08:51 PM
what kind of pads do you have with your powerslots?

snwman
07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
I would recommend the EBC rotors over the powerslots, Ive had both and the EBC quality seems much higher.