LIM leak signs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM leak signs

Jagey
07-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I searched around and found some really technical things to look out for as warning signs. I know absolutely nothing that goes on under the hood. Could somebody please take a picture of an engine bay, and circle the areas where I should be finding leaks or stains or anything like that associated with an LIM leak?
Thank you very much in advance.

AznGA
07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
I will take pictures tomm, but the worst thing that can happen is having coolent get mixed up with engine oil. If this is happening , the oil will look milky if you check the dipstick.

BiHStL
07-02-2004, 11:22 PM
yeah oil in coolant is horribel, you dont have to know much to check, just check you coolant level and you oil dipstick level when you r car is cool. Add coolant if you need too and then track it for a while (do you need to fill up again often) Also one sign of it is smelling coolant in you r car when heat is on, i had that but it went away. If nothing else, run over to a ponti. dealer and tell a mech. to take a quick look under you r hood because you are a lil worried about it, he might be nice and do it free of charge like they did for me!

kubiache
07-03-2004, 03:14 AM
Now granted one of the inner gaskets could go, but when mine happened, it was the outer part of them. So one time while looking under my hood, I noticed coolant had been running down the sides of the heads. So it was real easy to see for me.

I also fortunately had no oil/coolant soup to deal with.

Jagey
07-03-2004, 07:59 AM
yeah, mine looks like some sort of staining is happening on the engine from some type of liquid. I don't know what the hell the heads are, but it's on some metal parts.