engine guru's help!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : engine guru's help!!

tammikm
07-04-2004, 05:54 AM
I am going to change my oil today , I use K&N filter and castrol syntec oil, should I do an engine flush also? my car ticks a lot, I was told an engine flush might cure the tick, is flushing the engine hard on it? I want to know weather I should do it or not. there is 79,000 KM on the engine.

Thanks

sicc
07-04-2004, 06:04 AM
the tick you're referring to may be the piston slap our engines are famous for.

tammikm
07-04-2004, 06:08 AM
i think the tick is a lifter, not positive though, the tick is more prominent on cold start but I can still hear it sometimes after its warm and it gets faster with more rpm's not louder just faster, going with the speed of the engine i guess. anyone recommend the flush? I guess ill hold off on it till I know more about it. and WOW is the SLP ever loud!! I wish i could get it a bit tighter on the hangers though, it moves around a lot. here it clanging sometimes over bumps.

john_ertw
07-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Do you normally use a synthetic oil? My guess would also be a ticking lifter. My 85 Jetta has a ticking lifter and I noticed that since I changed the oil with a 15W40 oil (yes thick, but what that car asks for) that is made for diesel engines (so it has more detergents), the ticking does not happen all the time anymore and always goes away after about 10-15 mins of driving.

An engine flush might help. I would opt for using a product called Auto-RX which is a flush, but a slow acting one which is supposed to eliminate the possiblity of problems that can occur with regualar flushes.

Also on the oil choice, I would choose Mobil 1 over Castrol Synthetic since Mobil is a true sythetic while Castrol isn't (there is lots of disscussion about this on the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com ).

Hexx
07-04-2004, 12:16 PM
I thought my car had a lifter problem. Only does the ticking for 5mins until the car heats up. I just had the car in the shop to have them do the LIM gasket and they torque down the rockers as part of the installation....it still ticks...he told me it was piston slap...which I believe.

It's something you will have to live with really.

tammikm
07-04-2004, 12:19 PM
could I switch to MOBIL 1 synthetic from castrol syntec with no problems, I didnt think it was a good idea to keep switching oil brands....

thanks