Poll: Who has the CAI "whistle"? Is it bad or good either way?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who has the CAI "whistle"? Is it bad or good either way??

Pontiac Ninja
07-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I have the APOC inverted cone filter CAI and it DOES NOT have that whistle winding up sound some ppl on here talk about. I read many posts and never really got a solid answer about it being good bad or in between. Or why it happens on some ppls and why it doesn't for some ppl. I had mine installed by a senior certified GM mechanic. I know it was done properly. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS TOPIC would be greatly appreaciated. I mainly want to know if something might be wrong since I basically have no new whistle sound at all. My exhaust maybe got alittle louder but thats it! Thanks again guys (and gals)!!! :boogie:

blackGT420
07-04-2004, 12:54 PM
I have a doctorspeed stage 3 CAI which I installed myself myself. It does make a whistling sound and you can definitely hear the air getting sucked in. I cant imagine why you couldnt hear a whinging or whistling,,,,the only thing that i can think of is maybe the CAI is to restrictive, but i doubt that

AaronGAGT
07-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Well when you floor it you'll obviously hear the growl and the "whistling" some people experience is usually really quiet. You're not gonna sound like you have some turbo, so dont get that impression. Sometimes I hear mine, sometimes I dont. When I do, its barely noticeable

blackGT420
07-04-2004, 01:02 PM
I mostly hear it when im idling

coupe
07-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Man you guys are DEF.

Panacea
07-04-2004, 01:30 PM
May have to do with the cone being inverted, not causing the whistling sound.

It's neither good, nor bad. Don't worry about it.

coupe
07-04-2004, 01:37 PM
It should whistle either way.

rizer
07-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Maybe somethings in your exhaust pipe. Does it go :woowoo?

Sorry, had to :)

Mine has a good whistle to it, but ive notice its only during certain weather.
Cant be a bad thing

AznGA
07-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I hear whistle with my Dr. Speed stage 2 intake.

Jagey
07-04-2004, 02:53 PM
strap a kazoo to the end of your cone

eren00gt
07-04-2004, 03:57 PM
I have a custom made stage 2 type of intake and I can hear it most of the time. When I first start the car for the day after sitting overnight or whatever it really whistles and wines until it warms up. Love that sound.

UNCTYPE-S
07-04-2004, 04:21 PM
never heard a whistle with mine

AaronGAGT
07-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Man you guys are DEF.

I may be DEF but christ, you are ILLITERATE :)

Pontiac Ninja
07-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Well, I can honestly say I have never really heard anything at all. Only maybe if I really tried to hear it with the radio off and my window down, I might barely hear a whistle type sound. But nothing to the effect some you talk about. I guess I shouldn't worry about it. Maybe it is because its inverted. I'm not running the "ghost filter" am I?? Would I notice somthing way out of line if it fell off or whatever?? I mean i did buy the "top of the line" so to speak CAI from APOC, I wanted it to sound good AND help with the performance!! I might talk to the guy at APOC or the mechanic who installed it some more. Thanks!!

Pontiac Ninja
07-04-2004, 06:59 PM
strap a kazoo to the end of your cone

HAHA!!! THATS FUNNY!!!!!!!!! lol

Blackrider
07-04-2004, 07:35 PM
I have never herd a K&N Wisle, Usualy Foam filters wissle. the K&N's Usualy Growl.

Pontiac Ninja
07-04-2004, 10:59 PM
I have never herd a K&N Wisle, Usualy Foam filters wissle. the K&N's Usualy Growl.

Growl huh?!? Mmm, never heard anyone talk about the K&N filter on the CAI that way. Is this "growl" you speak of very noticeable?? GRrrrrrrrrrrr.......... :)

kse73
07-04-2004, 11:14 PM
For those of you who havent heard a K&N inverted come whistle.... you should take a ride in my car. During acceleration (non WOT), its very audible...even over my system. Sounds very cool!

ryGT1
07-05-2004, 07:40 AM
I've had three different cones on my intake over the past two years: K&N Inverted top, a 4" Green Cone, and a regular 5" K&N cone (which I've found to yield the best low-end performance. The whistle happens with all of these cones because it has nothing to do with the cone itself. The whistle actually comes from the fast moving air over the TB plate. You'll notice it only happens at a certain throttle position.

lightningGA
07-05-2004, 09:19 AM
I can hear the whistling sound when I accelerate and it's pretty loud....some people say it sounds like a small turbo.

On another note....how much horsepower will I gain if I strap a kazoo on there.....also will I see bigger gains with a multiple kazoo setup
lol

Jagey
07-05-2004, 09:27 AM
a twin-kazoo turbo is the best setup, it will yield the most power. Or if you have the cash, you can upgrade to a single harmonica setup. Some people use a flute setup, but there isn't enough room in the engine bay for something that crazy.

Ant
07-05-2004, 10:23 AM
haha, you guys crack me up.

back on topic though, my whistle/sucking noise is definatley loud enough to hear. i can hear it inside with the windows up. this is only when i stomp on it though, regular driving its not that loud at all.

Pontiac Ninja
07-05-2004, 11:02 AM
I figured it out ya'll!!!!! :jackson

This is why: The CAI only whistles with an aftermarket TB (like the 62mm unit) or a Bored out TB.
The whistle is caused by sharp edges in the iac passage. Stock Tb's do not have the sharp edges though. This from John B. at APOC!!!!!!!!! :slayer

So for those of you who can hear it so well, do most all of you have either the 62mm TB (or some atermarket TB) or a bored out one of some sort????? Peace!

Panacea
07-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Stock TB here, can hear the noise just fine...

Like I said -- Stop worrying about it! It doesn't affect performance in any way.

Gimli
07-05-2004, 11:38 AM
I've had three different cones on my intake over the past two years: K&N Inverted top, a 4" Green Cone, and a regular 5" K&N cone (which I've found to yield the best low-end performance. The whistle happens with all of these cones because it has nothing to do with the cone itself. The whistle actually comes from the fast moving air over the TB plate. You'll notice it only happens at a certain throttle position.

:stupid:

I don't even have a CAI (or aftermarket TB for that matter) and I get a very clear whistling at WOT.

kse73
07-05-2004, 11:42 AM
:stupid:

I don't even have a CAI (or aftermarket TB for that matter) and I get a very clear whistling at WOT.

Then somethin fishy is goin on there...

Jagey
07-05-2004, 11:48 AM
I figured it out ya'll!!!!! :jackson

This is why: The CAI only whistles with an aftermarket TB (like the 62mm unit) or a Bored out TB.
The whistle is caused by sharp edges in the iac passage. Stock Tb's do not have the sharp edges though. This from John B. at APOC!!!!!!!!! :slayer

So for those of you who can hear it so well, do most all of you have either the 62mm TB (or some atermarket TB) or a bored out one of some sort????? Peace!

lots of people have ONLY a CAI and get the whistling. A 62mm TB or a bored out TB isn't one of the more popular mods to do in the first place

lightningGA
07-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Stock TB here, can hear the noise just fine...

Like I said -- Stop worrying about it! It doesn't affect performance in any way.

same here :wave:

Pontiac Ninja
07-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Alright then. Just wanted to get a clearer understanding of all of this. thanks for all the comments. Even the kazoo ones from Jagey!!!!! :)

Jagey
07-05-2004, 12:47 PM
as long as i help the situation, that's all that counts

coupe
07-05-2004, 01:21 PM
I would have to say something isnt right with your car if you cant hear your intake. I dont know what John is smokin but he isnt entirely correct. And being that its inverted wont matter either. The whistle SHOULD be heard. Something isnt right.

I know i spell some things wrong but its becuase i type really fast becuase im in a hurry all the time and i dont look at my words when im done i just hit enter. I figure it dont matter, you guys know what i mean.

Azrael
07-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Just pop your hood open, start your engine, pull on the throttle thingy on the TB and listen for your intake. It's always possible that it's so quiet you can't hear it inside your car. Every setup will be different even with similar parts.

By comparison my WAI with K&N used to make a howling sound when I first installed it. After putting the pipe further into the coupler to the TB, I can't hear it anymore.

Esco301
07-06-2004, 12:52 PM
"I had mine installed by a senior certified GM mechanic." That's interesting.. I had a senior master of baiting put mine on.. is make a good whistle and gurl when I give it gas.

MASTER BAITERS....

its my idea for a business venture.... bait shop

other one is a topless pizza place called little nipplie

jamcllw
07-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Mine only whistles above 3000 rpm and it's freakin loud.

mr_eh
07-06-2004, 01:22 PM
http://thebadbunny.com/new.wav

its a 2.4 but, its "the whistle"

AaronGAGT
07-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Mine only whistles above 3000 rpm and it's freakin loud.

Post a sound clip up... i find that nearly impossible. A growling sound - yes. But a super loud whistle - I think not. Prove me wrong tho.

Pontiac Ninja
07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
"I had mine installed by a senior certified GM mechanic." That's interesting.. I had a senior master of baiting put mine on.. is make a good whistle and gurl when I give it gas.

MASTER BAITERS....

its my idea for a business venture.... bait shop

other one is a topless pizza place called little nipplie

Okay JERK :thumbsdow, that IS what they are called, and there aren't very many of them around here!! Just wanted to make the point that my lilttle cousin didn't install it. I KNOW IT WAS DONE PROPERLY!!!! Try sticking with the TOPIC. :rolleyes:

kse73
07-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Take it easy, he's jokin around. And Aaron, I'll be another to say that the whistle does get pretty loud at times (enough to get people to look googlyeyed at the car). I'll try to get a decent sound clip up whenever I get the time.

coupe
07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
I always tell my girl "i dont have to whistle at girls......my car does it for me". She hates it when i say it.
But yeah mine whistles REAL loud when i give it gas. More gas louder it gets. That simple.

jer_stud56
07-07-2004, 03:11 PM
I always tell my girl "i dont have to whistle at girls......my car does it for me".
lol that's great stuff. I want a CAI on my car, wonder if it does the same on the older gens?

coupe
07-07-2004, 03:20 PM
I see girls walkin on the sidewalk and i give it a quick punch and it whistles. Loud enough that anyone walkin down the street couldnt have possibly missed the whistle.

AaronGAGT
07-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Take it easy, he's jokin around. And Aaron, I'll be another to say that the whistle does get pretty loud at times (enough to get people to look googlyeyed at the car). I'll try to get a decent sound clip up whenever I get the time.

alright cool. :) I just wanna hear a sound clip... maybe I have whistle, but its not what i'm expecting it to be? Not sure... but I'm not really bothered. Like someone else said, if I have the radio off, the window down and my head slightly out the window and there's an object for the sound to bounce off, ONLY then do i hear a small whistle sound.

Green99GT
07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
i have a inverted K&N and it whistles when im on the gas......i also think its whistles more when its dirty.....i think it make be the silicone* connectors not fitting all that well....