axel /trans prob [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : axel /trans prob

silviaroller
07-05-2004, 12:31 AM
im replacing my mothers trans. i cant get the drivers side axel to come out. on other cars that ive had to take them out they poped out when i used a pry bar on them. but this one wont. its a 1993 2.3 single over head cam motor. i need to know how to get the axel out and if there is anything else i should look out for. thanks

zerogman
07-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Ok, so you have an older 2.3 with FWD and two half-shafts that run from the tranny to the hubs on the cars. (Half-shafts is the term used instead of axle since it's a transversely mounted engine.) Anywho, I don't want to know why you used a pry par... All you should have to do is disconnect the lower control arms from the wheel hubs/mounts and then remove the lower strut mount or bolrs so and then steering linkage so that the only thing left attached is the upper control arm, or whatever is holding the knuckle at the top (I am not that familiar with that model GA). Then you should be able to pull the half-shafts out of the wheel hub and then the tranny. My next question is, where the heck do you put the pry bar if you've popped them out before? They shouldn't pop out, they should slide out unless you are forcing something the way it shouldn't go...

Hope this helps!

- Zero