Help me....please =D [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help me....please =D

Hexx
07-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Ok so I am not too sure what's going on right now. Boss, friend/coworker, and I were going out for lunch again today. I go to start my car (00gagt), and it doesnt start. It's not mising a fire or anything...it just wont catch. It's turning over strong and the starter sounds fine...no nasty noises.

So I was thinking...maybe it just wasnt getting fuel (I have 1/2 tank). I let the key set on "acc" for a few seconds this time. Tried starting...it starts...dies 3 seconds later. Finally I start and hold it and it goes.

After eating....went back out to the car hoping it would work fine this time. Same thing. Once it gets started we go to Pep-Boys so my boss can buy new toys for his 04 zx2. I bought some Prestone fuel injector cleaner for under $3. Put it in but it won't really do anything until it settles into the tank (should be settled by 5).

So...I must also state that Sunday I washed my car, washed the engine bay also. Started up fine after I washed it. Later in the day I moved my car and noticed my time was off by a couple hours (or something...I just remember it being off). I turned the car off...came inside, did some stuff...go back out to my car like an hour later and start it up (I think because the clock thing popped into my head again).

When I went to start it, it took a little longer to turn over and start than normal. It didn't bother me much. The idle was kinda weird....it did not stay at 700rpm (or whatever our idle is)...it kept jumping up one notch and back down again. I reved it up to 3k rpm. It was fine....my idle has NEVER done this before. Not a big concern at the time.

My fuel gauge has been sticking....it's inacurate. I know this has happened to some of you guys/girls here on the forums also and its a bad sensor/float/whatever and GM says its because of crap gas killing it. When my car was in the shop (last week I think it was) for the LIM gasket to get swapped, I asked about that...he said not to worry too much right now because they would have to drop the tank to find out...and that is $$. He said to wait until my fuel pump to die and when that gets replaced (he said anywheres from where I am at now...72K miles...til about 150K miles) it should be all good.

So my question is....does this sound like a fuel pump issue or did I **** something up by washing my engine bay? I checked my wires...they are all good. No ses or anything. When I get home (hopefully not by tow truck) I will check my air filter. Should be fine though...I've only had the filter for 3K miles now and the oil got changed when my LIM gasket did (week ago).

Comments/suggestions/what's my car's problem?

TIA

[edit] :metal: <<love it

tammikm
07-06-2004, 11:37 AM
is your security light blinking when the key is turned to the ON position? this happened to mea few weeks back. leave key in on position for 10 mins then it should start.

Hexx
07-06-2004, 11:55 AM
is your security light blinking when the key is turned to the ON position? this happened to mea few weeks back. leave key in on position for 10 mins then it should start.

Well it does start after a few times trying. I will check out the security light thing though. But it shouldnt start at all if the security light is on right? Not until you let the key set for 10mins....I would think anyways.

Kdawg207
07-06-2004, 12:00 PM
did ya check the ignition fuse?
big sucker under the hood

tammikm
07-06-2004, 12:22 PM
thats right, you have a different problem then i guess, i would say fuel pump

Hexx
07-06-2004, 12:29 PM
did ya check the ignition fuse?
big sucker under the hood

No I didn't....or maybe I did. I don't know what it looks like but I did check the connectors. Everything looked connected so Im not sure.