Power Inverter Hook-up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Inverter Hook-up

Kodeblue
07-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I am looking for a power inverter to run a playstation in my car. First question is, how do I hook this up? I want to have it hid in the trunk and permanently plugged in running off a switch. But the part I don't understand is that the inverters have the cigarette lighter adaptor. Do I cut that off and hook wires up to the remaining wire and run it to the battery through my switch?

Second question is, what size inverter would be sufficient for this use?

grandamgt6969
07-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I am in the same boat as you. Here is what they told me at the store. Buy one that already have the battery adapter thing. Then cut off the ends that is used to connect to the battery so you can put on one of those little things with a hole in the center so that it permaently connected to the battery. For the switch open up the inverter which should already come from with a switch and just make an extension for that switch. I not very good at explaining stuff so I hope thise helped.

I think a 350 one if good enough to power the PS2./

Kodeblue
07-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Well, I just got back from my buddies and forgot that he has a PS2 in his CRX. He told me to take apart the piece that goes in the cigarette lighter and one wire will be attached to the center pin and that is the wire to run to my switch. The other wire that runs along the outside of that iece is for the ground.

Dan00GPGT
07-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Here's what you need to do. If your inverter came with a cigarette plug adapter on the end, mark which wire should go to ground and which wire should be hot. Next, cut the adapter off. Add extra wire to the ends so that you have enough to reach your switch and the battery. Add in a fuse of the appropriate size unless the inverter is fused internally or on the leads already. Wire it up!

You can also add a relay to the circuit to make sure the inverter isn't left on with the car off.

Kodeblue
07-07-2004, 11:43 AM
What size of fuse should I run with this?

Dan00GPGT
07-08-2004, 05:25 AM
What size of fuse should I run with this?

That depends on what the inverter draws. I would check the specifications or match the existing fuse. If neither of those are readily available, hook it up with an ammeter inline and get an idea what it usually draws.

2002AmSE
07-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Just make sure you use wiring that is equal to or better for the amount of amerage draw you plan on taking. Which means for a 400 peak watt power invertor you should probably have 40 amps wiring, and a fuse that corresponds to the wiring. Never skip out on electrical protection, its very important.

Just do the math == watts(400 or whatever your invertor is rated as peak) divided by volts(you should calulate to 12 volts) = would be 33.3 amps in this case. The amp should be internally fused as well, so you could just look in the manuel and match the wiring and fusing to the amperage of that amperage.