PACE's car = Broken --HELP! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PACE's car = Broken --HELP!

PACE
07-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Here is the story.

My coolent boiled over and the car over heated over the weekend. I refilled the coolent and everything ran fine after that. Well today on the highway my temp gauge went to about 100 degrees after 20 minutes of driving.....I pulled over and checked the coolent and it was still fine and the return line was hot so I know its circulating....I drove home slowly with the heat on high just incase it was overheating.

So the question is....are the 2 related? Why would the temp read 100 degrees ? the gauge is not "dead" it just says 100 all the time now no matter what.....Any ideas why my coolent just boiled over and overheated he car out of no where??

Looks like I'm headed to the dealership :thumbsdow

PACE

Molson
07-06-2004, 07:56 PM
sounds like a bad tstat

AznGA
07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
How old is your car? Mileage?

sicc
07-06-2004, 09:18 PM
when my car overheated like this the 1st time it was the LIM gasket. the 2nd time it was my water pump. if its the water pump you will notice the serpentine belt shooting coolant in the air.

PACE
07-07-2004, 05:16 AM
The car is an 03 with 14,000 miles. The water pump is working. I woke EARLY this morning to go to the dealershipand work out a rental car.....but everything worked fine this morning. temp gauge was once again working and no signs of over heating. So I came back home. I think the t-stat is bad AND there is an electrical problem causing the temp gauge to not work right occasinally.

AMRAAM4
07-07-2004, 05:22 AM
Bad tstat as the Molsonator said.

Hope you told those bitches to be easy on your car when they lift it up!

Roush GT
07-07-2004, 06:12 AM
you left your car with the dealer? :thumbsdow IBtheyfockupthekit :rolleyes:

PACE
07-07-2004, 06:38 AM
No........I was GOING to take it to the dealship but my whole way there it drove fine so I said F the dealer and came back home!

I know my SC/T rockers would be killed by the lift!! I ordered a new t-stat from PFYC and I guess I'll just drive easy until then.

I forgot to mention that my temp gauge yesterday started acting screwy after I broke 125 mph on the freeway for about 10 miles :)

AMRAAM4
07-07-2004, 06:50 AM
I forgot to mention that my temp gauge yesterday started acting screwy after I broke 125 mph on the freeway for about 10 miles :)

I'm telling Mrs. PACE .....

right after I tell her of her husband's homosexual tendencies.

Blackrider
07-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Ewww Overheated engine can = bad things in the future

atc3434
07-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Does anybody see a problem with the temp gauge reading 100, but the lines are still hot. My money is on the water temp sensor, that explains all your problems. You didn't get any fans because the computer didn't turn them on, hence the overheating the first time. Then, you get screw temp gauge readings. I would look into that as well... you've got more going on than just a bad thermostat. Also, you can get the coolant to boil over easier if the coolant cap isn't tight. Happend to me... thought I had major problemas!

AaronGAGT
07-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Also, you can get the coolant to boil over easier if the coolant cap isn't tight. Happend to me... thought I had major problemas!

Im with ATC on this part. Happened to me and noboby could figure out why i kept overheating and loosing my coolant. Turned out my cap was stripped (couldnt be tightened) and couldnt hold the pressure.

PACE
07-08-2004, 07:11 AM
My fans were on the entire time this was happening.

Well 2 days have come and gone and now the car seems to be running fine *shrug*

Apollyon9515
07-09-2004, 10:51 PM
right after i did my lim gasket repair, It puked out all of my coolant and overheated. I refilled it and nothing has happened since. But that dont explain the temp reading. Also it could be the cap mine messed up once like ^ did and would get hot but i put it back togther and havent had a prob since.

2kramairGT
05-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Can a faulty coolant resevoir cap cause a car to overheat or boil over? THe cap is in two peices the threaded part u see and the other piece is the seal and plug thing. They broke apart. Any input???

Joker694
05-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Can a faulty coolant resevoir cap cause a car to overheat or boil over? THe cap is in two peices the threaded part u see and the other piece is the seal and plug thing. They broke apart. Any input???

yes get a new cap

Hodge
05-17-2005, 02:34 PM
hey pace do you store that during hte winter? my dad has a 95 trans am with 8000 miles on it when he took it to work after storing it last winter.. when he hit about 80 on the highway, the temp gauge went over 200 and he pulled over and checked it and nothing was wrong. turned out to be a bad thermastat i'm pretty sure. We just replaced the thermastat and the radiator at the same time. works good :D

Malaclypse
05-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Whenever a car overheats the possibility exsists that you'll melt the wax pellet inside the coolant temp sensor. This would cause inaccurate temp readings and possibly an SES light.

I'd say replace the thermostat, ECT sensor and refill. Keep an eye on your head gaskets though. I've seen a few cases where the motor was overheated and the headbolts stretched, causing the head gasket to leak externally.

SC/TGrandAm
05-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Funny thing is you guys are telling him all of these fixes but you failed to realize this thread was made almost A YEAR AGO- im sure the problem was fixed long ago. Resurrected from the dead/ just a heads up.

Malaclypse
05-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Heh. Guess I should start paying attention to post dates. Whoever brought this back needs to be slapped. =p

Still good advice for anyone that goes through the same crap.

zeddsdead
01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
somewhat similar problem....

i was driving the car hard today on my way home from work....had the LIM gasket repaired just a week ago. no problems until about a block away from home i notice my temp gauge is at 0. i park it in the driveway and shut it down. i turn the car back on to running and notice the temp gauge needle slides all the way over to the right like it usually does along with all the other needles but then come back to zero and doesnt move. t-stat problem?

some background: burned a hole in a power steering line with the rear header after the LIM gasket was repaired. car went back for that work and now this. any possible corelation?

please dont slap me.

bu01
01-31-2006, 07:03 PM
IF I RUN MY CAR COLD, my needles stays at zero and my fans turn on. i unhook the battery over night and the needle works again, but if i run it coold again, the needle goes back to zero and my fans turn back on, i already changed the sensor that goes in the LIM. but i dont iknow whats going on. if i drive my car like that, it doesnt overheat cuz the fans are always on, and i am running below optimum operating level. i dont know what to do next,, any suggestions

Plug
01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Im with ATC on this part. Happened to me and noboby could figure out why i kept overheating and loosing my coolant. Turned out my cap was stripped (couldnt be tightened) and couldnt hold the pressure.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one whose coolant bottle threads stripped.

zeddsdead
01-31-2006, 09:42 PM
hmm...developments:

i go to fill up on gas and the ses light comes on. the trans shifts hard. im thinking thats from the hard driving earlier today...or maybe is just the long expected trans trouble after driving hard for the past couple of days. the gas station is just around the corner from my house. so i fill up on gas and decide to drive down the block to autozone. they check the codes and tell me i got 2 showing. one for coolant temp sensor and the other for throttle position sensor??? i buy the parts there but does this make any sense? i sure do hope the ses light goes out. my inspection sticker is due. thoughts?

zeddsdead
02-01-2006, 07:01 PM
today i replaced the tps sensor and found that the coolant temp sensor just wasnt properly secured. guess what...temp gauge was reading normal and SES light went away. took it for a drive around the block and sure enough the hard shifting was gone. Thanks autozone and the boards for the wealth of info!