Ceramic Brake Pads need advice [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Brake Pads need advice

BadGT471
07-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Well guys, I decided to go out and get some ProACT Ceramic Brake Pads... they ran me 209.95 a pair.... I put these up front because my stock rotors kept warping and the stock pads needed to be replaced at 30k... Has anyone switched over to cermaic? Do you think these will help prevent my rotors from warping again? Does that price seem reasonable? they have a lifetime warranty on them...

Thanks,
Jeff

Also, had a transmission power flush done. Well, they backed the car out and when I put it in gear I heard this loud BANG sound and the whole car dropped. When you shifted gears it sounded like there was no transmission fluid in it. THey came out and checked it and it was fine... We turned the car off then back on and now it's fine... Could there have just been a air bubble in it or something? I am afraid that maybe they screwed up my transmission.

iceman
07-06-2004, 09:51 PM
$210 for brake pads alone ?!?!?!

tenspeed
07-07-2004, 05:58 AM
At $210 for a pair of pads I would hope for a lifetime warrenty and free install too.

The type of pads you have will not cause rotor warpage, it's the quality of rotor that you have. Expensive pads or cheap pads both put the same amount of heat into the rotor to bring a car to a stop from the same speed. Expensive pads sometimes can do it quicker, cleaner and quieter.

EBlend
07-07-2004, 06:06 AM
holly expensive pads

better get good rotors, because facttory rotors will warp and destroy your new pads

Greed4Speed
07-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Did you get some KY with those pads?

The only way you're going to get rid of rotor warping is to get some aftermarket rotors. For the price of your pads you could have gotten some nice slotted rotors.

2003SCT
07-07-2004, 08:41 AM
The issue is NOT in our pads OR our rotors.....It is in the design of the caliper that the issue lies.

Our calipers flex SO much under hard braking that it puts an unbelievable amount of stress on a rotor.....The newer caliper design is much better than on my 1996 Achieva which eats brakes like no tomarrow.....but still, the new cars have issues......It needs to be a SOLID 4 piston design to allow the pressure to be evenly distributed.

Thats our big issue....

As of yet...haven't had any issues with my 03 GAGT...

CHRIS

Green99GT
07-07-2004, 09:44 PM
i have some cermics i bought from work...all the way around was a little under 100$ 2yr warranty* i love them no dust

2000GA
07-08-2004, 06:42 PM
whats worng with going to napa and get the mid-level pads for $38 with a 2 year warranty?

RAPTOR
07-10-2004, 02:38 AM
i picked up a set of bendex ceramic pads for 60 bucks,and to tell you the truth i think i wasted my money.i wish i would have spent the money on slotted rotors.the only fix here is to get rid of the heat so invest in drilled and slotted rotors and get a 20 dollar set of pads.i hate the brakes on my GT,i call them GM junk.