Taking off right front fender... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Taking off right front fender...

rizer
07-07-2004, 12:12 AM
I have a rust spot on my fender starting and im going in tomorrow to get a price on how much to fix from a body shop. Ebay is selling fenders painted for 139 bucks so if its cheaper, i maybe just be replacing whole fender.
Just wondering, what all am I getting into and what am i going to need to take off/replace?

Dan00GPGT
07-07-2004, 06:43 AM
I'm guessing that the paint on the fender you get isn't going to match the car as well as a body shop paint job. The fenders may also be aftermarket and may not fit like OE stuff. To get the fender off, you need to remove:

Hood
Hood hinge
Inner fender liner
rocker panel
multiple bolts holding the fender

Sleepwalkr
07-07-2004, 02:32 PM
The bolts are 10mm. You need a socket for this. It would help to have a clip-remover tool. It looks like a flathead screwdriver with 2 heads on it. I think also a 7 or 8mm wrench or socket is required for the little bolts holding it on the splash shield.
Also, be very careful when removing it from the hood hinge, you might want to ask someone to hold the hood up for you. If you do it alone and the corner of the hood slips back...... new windshield a'comin.

Green99GT
07-07-2004, 10:46 PM
not hard to change the fender, i woudl imagine a ebay finder will take alot of work to fit right....just fix the rust shouldnt cost much, black not a hard color to match either so your in the good..try matching my green....not to easy

Sleepwalkr
07-08-2004, 02:39 PM
not hard to change the fender, i woudl imagine a ebay finder will take alot of work to fit right....just fix the rust shouldnt cost much, black not a hard color to match either so your in the good..try matching my green....not to easy

Believe it or not, when I worked at the bodyshop, black and white were the hardest colors to match. Every black is different enough because of flake colors in them, its enough to be a pain. Our painter once had to re-paint a hood on an Acura Integra 4 times, and even the final one was off, but close enough to where the customer didn't notice.