GT vs GT1 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : GT vs GT1

DanteF
07-08-2004, 03:51 PM
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=7][COLOR=DarkGreen]
OK guys and gals...

Since this is my first Grand Am.. someone please tell me the difference between a GT and a GT1.. mine is 2002 metallic green sedan..

The car has the "Grand AM GT" logos all over it.. yet when I put in the VIN number I get that it's a GT1.[I]

Love the car.. and will post some pictures when I get the digital cam fixed...

Dante

Hexx
07-08-2004, 03:55 PM
It's probably a GT1 then. I don't know what the difference is really. Never bothered looking it up. Weird thing is, mine is a GT and was sold as a GT to me. Insurance company has me down as a GT1.

Lemme see what I can find for info.

crazypontiac03
07-08-2004, 04:01 PM
I have a GT1 also its just option's and very few of them at that.

Hexx
07-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Hrmm....I just did a carfax (free) on my car:

VIN:1G2NV12E5YM706346
Year/Make/Model: 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM GT1

Yay I guess? [edited out]

Hexx
07-08-2004, 04:06 PM
I have a GT1 also its just option's and very few of them at that.

Would it be the fact that my car is fully loaded? Is that the "1" added to it =D

jeremy96gase
07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
GT1 adds 6 way power drivers seat insted of 2 way, and a few other things.
Don't remeber.

AznGA
07-08-2004, 05:11 PM
All I know is that GT1 gets 6 way power driver seat and steering wheel radio controls standard.

rak4life
07-08-2004, 05:15 PM
i have a 2001 black gt1 sedan and i have 6 way power seat, steering wheel radio controls, and leather. its basicly every option u can get.

HellFire77
07-08-2004, 05:39 PM
I think the GT1s come with a sunroof too. And as Hexx said its pretty much loaded.

AndyVTek
07-08-2004, 05:45 PM
GT1 is just a different trim = extra add-ons. That's it.

UNCTYPE-S
07-08-2004, 05:57 PM
theirs no performance, suspension difference between the 2.

its just the steering controls, speakers, sunroof is standard, leather, maybe a few more things.

gt1's dont say gt1 on the badges. all the types of gt's will just say gt.

GTLUVA
07-08-2004, 06:03 PM
I never bought an GT basically because I can't live without my radio controls I love them to death. My 2000 was an GT1 Coupe and so is my 2003 :) Every car I buy has to have steering wheel controls and a sunroof and XM Radio I can't live without those things

UNCTYPE-S
07-08-2004, 06:04 PM
se's also come with steering controls

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 06:23 PM
GT1 only includes 6-way power driver's seat - Power sunroof - Leather-wrapped steering wheels radio controls.

With the Solid Value Package you get all the upgrades:

Leather-appointed seating - Chrome Tech 16" cast aluminum wheels with P225/50R16 touring tires - XM Satellite Radio** with 100 channels of digital audio that displays song title, artist, and entertainment genre.

This is for the 2004 that is, but it must be similar.

SE2 come with steering wheel radio controls(also only SE with ETS(? according to that page)), and SE1 come with 4 way control seats.

For the current year you can see it all here: http://www.pontiac.com/grandam/

AznGA
07-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Ya, UNC had SE2, which is the loaded SE. His had steering wheel radio buttons. Mine is a GT with the option package that includes sunroof, Monsoon audio, and chrome rims. That's pretty much all the options I need. I drove my parents's cars for long time and neither had steering wheel radio buttons, so I am used to it. Even if I had steering wheel buttons, I would prolly end up reaching for the buttons on the radio.
:)

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 07:34 PM
I have the GT w/SCT and w/Solid Value Package too... So I have everything but XM, 6 way seat, the steering wheel, and leather. I drove a GPGT with the steering wheel controls and I never used them.

Vintalage
07-08-2004, 07:39 PM
I have the GT1 loaded with leather and the steering wheel controls. I use the controls everytime I hope in and go for a ride. Very convenient while driving and you don't have to reach over to the radio to change basic functions.

GTLUVA
07-08-2004, 07:41 PM
My very first car I bought when I was 16 was a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM Se Sedan White the only options it had on it was power door locks and cruise control I had a stinking tape player but my older brother gave me a nice used cd player but it was free so I wasn't complaining but at that time I could only afford a $10,000 car and the payment was nice only $185 a month. But thats why I traded it in after I finished high school for a used 2000 GT1 loaded coupe everything but leather and chrome-tech wheels I wanted a new one but couldn't afford one at the time because I had crummy low paying job but 21 months later I finally could afford a brand new car so I ordered my car loaded with every option I always never liked my Se I liked my GTs a lot better because I like the sportier feel to them and the handling and suspension better sorry to tell a big long story but once you get spoiled with all those options you want them again and again :)

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Very convenient while driving and you don't have to reach over to the radio to change basic functions.

Thats what play lists are for :)

GTLUVA
07-08-2004, 07:46 PM
I use my steering wheel controls everday. Kind of like my sunroof its open everyday unless its starting to rain or snow inside. I have XM Radio in my car so thats the only thing I listen to. My Cd player I have only used about 4 times maybe and my tape player once just to try it out when I got my car. I usually only have to click my steering wheel controls twice I either listen to LA Kiss FM or The City on XM. They play all my favorite rap and hip hop songs :)

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 07:47 PM
I actually found mine on the lot, I was not expecting to buy a car, and then my last car had tranny problems and so much more, and I just went shopping. I looked around and had I not found something I would have ordered a GT1, there weren't any on the lot from what I noticed, but then I saw four SC/T's and I knew that is what I wanted. They had 2 black ones(one coupe, one sedan) and two orange fusion(one coupe, one sedan). And I saw it sitting there, saw the chrometecs and the hood and I fell for it. I said, I got gotta have it. Where do I sign..... Sorry for my story, I never get to tell it :)

AznGA
07-08-2004, 07:49 PM
My very first car I bought when I was 16 was a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM Se Sedan White the only options it had on it was power door locks and cruise control I had a stinking tape player but my older brother gave me a nice used cd player but it was free so I wasn't complaining but at that time I could only afford a $10,000 car and the payment was nice only $185 a month. But thats why I traded it in after I finished high school for a used 2000 GT1 loaded coupe everything but leather and chrome-tech wheels I wanted a new one but couldn't afford one at the time because I had crummy low paying job but 21 months later I finally could afford a brand new car so I ordered my car loaded with every option I always never liked my Se I liked my GTs a lot better because I like the sportier feel to them and the handling and suspension better sorry to tell a big long story but once you get spoiled with all those options you want them again and again :)
Never get sick of GA's? This is my first car that I have owned and after about 2 years, I am sick of it.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 07:49 PM
I use my steering wheel controls everday. Kind of like my sunroof its open everyday unless its starting to rain or snow inside. I have XM Radio in my car so thats the only thing I listen to. My Cd player I have only used about 4 times maybe and my tape player once just to try it out when I got my car. I usually only have to click my steering wheel controls twice I either listen to LA Kiss FM or The City on XM. They play all my favorite rap and hip hop songs :)

I wish I got the XM upgrade, but I'm happy with the MP3, I have a few cds made up for my particular moods. And I'm the same way, if nothing is falling from the sky, my roof is open. Even when its raining I keep it opened at that vent level, since it never comes in.

AznGA
07-08-2004, 07:52 PM
The mute button on the steering wheel is nice though. I wish they put that on the HU itself.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Never get sick of GA's? This is my first car that I have owned and after about 2 years, I am sick of it.

Yes and no.

The car is very nice, and rides very smooth, and has enough pep.

on the other side;
I wish horsepower was cheaper for it.
I had a '99 Malibu LS last, and it had everything but a CD player, so I miss the 6 way seat, I miss the extra lights(like the foot wells), the trunk net, mud flaps(is that what they're called), my passenger sun visor had a mirror with a light, no mirror in this one(makes my wife really mad, especially since her '98 sunfire se has a mirror on the passenger side)... All those things GM started cutting.

Vintalage
07-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Kind of like my sunroof its open everyday unless its starting to rain or snow inside.

Heh, I have my sunroof open pretty much everyday as well. When my stepbro steps in, he closes it and even the sunshade most of the time. Unacceptable. :mad:

Damn idiotic spoiled whiner. :rage:

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 07:54 PM
The mute button on the steering wheel is nice though. I wish they put that on the HU itself.

Every time my cell rings I wish I had a mute button.

GTLUVA
07-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I love Grand Ams. I have been driving them since March 1999. I kind of regretting buying my 2003. I should of kept my 2000 GT I had my car loan down to $7,000 now I'm an dumb idiot and bought a new one and financed $19,000 from the bank and I still owe $14,600 on the car now. I got sick of it only after about 6 months thats why I decided to spend $1700 on a sct package it reminded me so much of my 2000 Silvermist GT. It was kind of one of those impulse buys I wanted a 2003 so I could have leather and XM Radio and a cool 30th Anniversary Package but after a while I figured this car reminds me a lot like my 2000. But I guess I'm going to have to keep it for another year or so I can pay back the bank the money I owe them. My car is running great right now 12,000 miles the only problems I had so far was the moisture in my fog lamp and my passenger side window regulator and clips went bad on me.

'01GT
07-08-2004, 07:58 PM
GT1's have 6-way power seat, radio controls on steering wheel, XM, and leather. Every thing else is standard on GT's.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Heh, I have my sunroof open pretty much everyday as well. When my stepbro steps in, he closes it and even the sunshade most of the time. Unacceptable. :mad:

Damn idiotic spoiled whiner. :rage:

I try not to let anyone in my car, saves me alot of problems....

offtopic: Are you going to crofton tomorrow?

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 08:00 PM
GT1's have 6-way power seat, radio controls on steering wheel, XM, and leather. Every thing else is standard on GT's.

Sunroof isn't

http://www.pontiac.com/grandam

AznGA
07-08-2004, 08:04 PM
3400 is a nice big torquey engine, but ya they could have got more HP out of it though. I still like my car though, I am just kind of a person that gets sick of things easily. That's why I keep modding my car. Everytime I do something to it, it feels like a different car to me.

Vintalage
07-08-2004, 08:04 PM
I try not to let anyone in my car, saves me alot of problems....

offtopic: Are you going to crofton tomorrow?

I'll try. I get off work at 6:30pm so that may be a problem.

Vintalage
07-08-2004, 08:08 PM
3400 is a nice big torquey engine, but ya they could have got more HP out of it though. I still like my car though, I am just kind of a person that gets sick of things easily. That's why I keep modding my car. Everytime I do something to it, it feels like a different car to me.

You and me both. Most of it is due to the many problems that continue to occur with this car. I've decided to keep it though mainly because of depreciation. It's worth crap.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah, that is one of my favorite things about it, Lots of torque

I know the feeling, I need to add something new to mine, it has been too long. I'll be adding a Borla soon, but I've pushed it back until around the end of august.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 08:11 PM
I'll try. I get off work at 6:30pm so that may be a problem.

I'm not sure how late everyone is staying, I will be there until everyone leaves or close. I know some people are getting together early in the day, but thats all I know about that. I have to work to and will be cutting it close for 5 myself.

kamikaz16
07-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Leather isn't standard either. I've got a cloth GT1, although it has every other option.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Leather isn't standard either. I've got a cloth GT1, although it has every other option.

I posted all of it on page one, he didn't read though, leather is part of the GT1's Solid Value Package

AznGA
07-08-2004, 08:26 PM
My friend has 03 with leather....it was kinda comfy. But with the way I drive, I would slide all over. I am just glad I have a GT with sunroof at least. I was originally planning to get an SE with V6 until the dealer decided to give me a good deal on my GT.
:)

GAGTSCTGuy
07-08-2004, 08:30 PM
I think Maryland summers are too hot for leather, I'm glad I don't have it, plus I know the second I bought something like that, I would tear it.

Hexx
07-09-2004, 05:28 AM
6 way seat controls = ownage =D

I love my GAGT. I didn't like it for a little while....got kinda depressed over the amount I owed on it, but now that I am modding it again....I am happy =D Oh and most everyone I show my car to, they love the look and my interior painting.

Now all I want is some new tires, SC/T package (not just the hood and tail) and I'm golden. Oh and some rotors...yaay groupbuy =D

plourded
07-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Funny mine is a GT1 and I don't have the 6 way seat option and volume control on steering...

Vintalage
07-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Funny mine is a GT1 and I don't have the 6 way seat option and volume control on steering...

That's called a GT.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-09-2004, 09:51 AM
I have a GT1 without the 6 way seat and steering wheel controls too... hehe, just kidding, check your VIN if you want to be sure plourded. I think the manual says what digit it is.

plourded
07-09-2004, 10:40 AM
registration say GT1

AznGA
07-09-2004, 04:04 PM
GT1 really should have 6 way seat and radio steering buttons.

rizer
07-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Indeed, id be a sad gt1 when the only option added was a sunroof, heh.

My 2k gt1 came w/ everything but stock chromers :(

plourded
07-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Bougth that car used don't know something must happen to it with the previous owner...

GAGTSCTGuy
07-10-2004, 07:34 PM
hehe, he bought a GT... buhahaha just kidding plourded, did the digit in the VIN say GT1 or GT?

Irate
07-10-2004, 07:37 PM
The basic GT package is actually about 125lbs lighter than the GT1 car, enabling insane 1/4 mile runszzz!!!!!!

lol

F the GT1, I had a GT and it went pretty damn fast. :)

GAGTSCTGuy
07-10-2004, 08:01 PM
The basic GT package is actually about 125lbs lighter than the GT1 car, enabling insane 1/4 mile runszzz!!!!!!

lol

F the GT1, I had a GT and it went pretty damn fast. :)

lol

tagurit
07-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Gotta admit there isn't much difference bewtween the GT's......but with 3 kids......leather is the way to go..... :) no more cleaning bills for the fabric, and I've always wanted that stuff anyhow......glad I traded my '98 GT in for this one. I'm quite happy. Now all I need is some mad mods.....

Jagey
07-11-2004, 10:58 AM
wow, there are a lot of people that think they have GT1's when they are really GT's. Does that mean the dealers suckered you into paying GT1 MSRP? Or maybe they used it as a sales gimmick to make you feel good about having a "GT1" rather than a "GT". A GT1 has everything; sunroof, leather, and steering wheel controls. As soon as you start missing some of those options, it ISN'T a GT1 anymore, so give up and admit it's a GT.

gasev6ho
07-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Hrmm....I just did a carfax (free) on my car:

VIN:1G2NV12E5YM706346
Year/Make/Model: 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM GT1

Yay I guess? [edited out]

Yay! But what else did the Carfax tell you? Did you buy your car new? Just wondering, cause I ran it on Autocheck and had some interesting results you may want to know about if you don't already. Other than Autocheck said Grand Am GT.

Chris

GAGTSCTGuy
07-11-2004, 11:42 AM
wow, there are a lot of people that think they have GT1's when they are really GT's. Does that mean the dealers suckered you into paying GT1 MSRP? Or maybe they used it as a sales gimmick to make you feel good about having a "GT1" rather than a "GT". A GT1 has everything; sunroof, leather, and steering wheel controls. As soon as you start missing some of those options, it ISN'T a GT1 anymore, so give up and admit it's a GT.

Actually I think it was just one guy. In this thread atleast, my post was a joke.

GALover
07-11-2004, 12:42 PM
My SE2 has steering radio controls, Monsoon & MP3, sunroof, ChromeTechs, 6-way power driver seat. All I'm missing is the basic difference between SE and GT. (Dual exhaust, rear rotors, Ram Air, ect...)

junior8
10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
i just traded for a 99 grand am gt ram air,but,i've been told by a few friends its a gt1.it has 3.4 ram air,6 way power seats,power sunroof,lt grey/drk grey cloth interior.am/fm cd,eq with cassette,leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob,stereo controls on wheel,aluminum rims,not chromtechs!150mph speedo,4 wheel disk brakes,pwr windows.also has,factory amp in trunk,and really good sounding factory radio system in it,i don't really care what it is,just wanting to know,the car will fly,i've had it to 130 already,and it wanted more!!!!

jeremy96gase
10-07-2008, 03:05 PM
i just traded for a 99 grand am gt ram air,but,i've been told by a few friends its a gt1.it has 3.4 ram air,6 way power seats,power sunroof,lt grey/drk grey cloth interior.am/fm cd,eq with cassette,leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob,stereo controls on wheel,aluminum rims,not chromtechs!150mph speedo,4 wheel disk brakes,pwr windows.also has,factory amp in trunk,and really good sounding factory radio system in it,i don't really care what it is,just wanting to know,the car will fly,i've had it to 130 already,and it wanted more!!!!
LOL, Great first post. Way to bring back a 4 year old post.
Be careful when driving so fast. Even with the Grand Am's OK crash test rating going 100+ when hitting something will kill you.

AaronGTR
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
i just traded for a 99 grand am gt ram air,but,i've been told by a few friends its a gt1. It has 3.4 ram air,6 way power seats,power sunroof,lt grey/drk grey cloth interior.am/fm cd,eq with cassette,leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob,stereo controls on wheel,aluminum rims,not chromtechs!150mph speedo,4 wheel disk brakes,pwr windows.also has,factory amp in trunk,and really good sounding factory radio system in it,i don't really care what it is,just wanting to know,the car will fly,i've had it to 130 already,and it wanted more!!!!

Actually chromtechs are aluminum rims. They just have a chrome plated plastic cover over the face. If you have plain aluminum face wheels and not chromtechs I'd be surprised to see that on a GT1 because the chrome was standard for that car. The GT1 designation means it comes with every option available on the grand am as standard equipment instead, except for the leather seats which was the only available "option" for a GT1. I suppose someone could have requested the dealership to swap them for standard wheels if they didn't like the chrome, but they came with them from the factory.

Most of the stuff you listed was standard or offered as an option on all GT's. The only thing that wasn't is the steering wheel radio controls, so that is the real teller. Only GT1's came with that. Also if you check your Vin number, it should start with 1G2NV. The "N" is for the N chassis and the "V" is the GT1 designation.

Also, many people on here frown upon talking about driving 130mph on public roads. You might catch some flack for it. But anyway, the stock speed governor is actually 127mph for that car. Unless you have a tuned computer, it won't go faster than that. The speedometer might show 130, but it isn't really accurate at that speed. ;)

jeremy96gase
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
If he's got a 6way power seats, than it's a GT1.

GT - 2 way power seats
GT1 - 6 way power seats

His avatar shows a Red GT, and it looks like it has Chrometecs.

AaronGTR
10-08-2008, 09:53 PM
If he's got a 6way power seats, than it's a GT1.

GT - 2 way power seats
GT1 - 6 way power seats

His avatar shows a Red GT, and it looks like it has Chrometecs.

Actually, 6 way power drivers seats were an available option on all GT coupes and sedans. 4 way manual with power height adjustment were standard on GT's and passenger seats were 4 way manual only on both GT's and GT1's. The 6 way power drivers seat was just standard equipment on the GT1. I still have my promo packet with the grand am catalog with the factory build options right here in my office.

The only, and I mean ONLY thing the GT1's came with that you could NOT get on GT's was the steering wheel radio controls. Therefore that is the easiest way to tell them apart.

Jbrinda18
10-08-2008, 10:13 PM
can someone tell me what i gotta do to activate my satellite radio??? probably a dumb question but i don't really know

jeremy96gase
10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
The only, and I mean ONLY thing the GT1's came with that you could NOT get on GT's was the steering wheel radio controls. Therefore that is the easiest way to tell them apart.
Gotcha, I got that information from a sales man, one more reason (like I needed another) for me to never beleve thoughs guys.

can someone tell me what i gotta do to activate my satellite radio??? probably a dumb question but i don't really know
Switch the radio over to XM, and go to channel 1. All functional XM recivers can hear channel 1, in the recording that channel plays is XM's phone number, call them.

Jbrinda18
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
sweet thanks

SSRacer
10-09-2008, 02:31 PM
You know Halloween is close when four year old threads are coming back from the dead...lol

PhantomLover007
10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
^^^ lol

Jake
10-09-2008, 10:10 PM
My car was listed as a Gt1, and when I got there i'm like ehhhh no newbs this isn't a Gt1 its a Gt ._.

2000 GT Coupe
02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I hate reviving an old thread but if the radio controls are only on the gt1 it it just 4 buttons 2 on the left and 2 on the right?
does anyone have a pic? I do not have access to my car right now I just bought it and have not taken possession of it yet so I can not check the vin.

PhantomLover007
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/01/67/a3a0_1.JPG

2000 GT Coupe
02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you, yes my car has those on the steering wheel. if that makes it a gt1 thats cool.

PhantomLover007
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
The GT1 upgrades by adding a six-way power driver seat, an AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 player, steering wheel mounted radio controls, and a power sunroof.

2000 GT Coupe
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
The GT1 upgrades by adding a six-way power driver seat, an AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 player, steering wheel mounted radio controls, and a power sunroof.
I dont remember if its a 6 way power seat, but I do not think a 2000 would have mp3 playing stereo it has the steering controls and power sunroof though.

lone_wolf025
02-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I dont remember if its a 6 way power seat, but I do not think a 2000 would have mp3 playing stereo it has the steering controls and power sunroof though.

I think mp3 was only for like 04's or something. I've got a GT1 and I'm pretty sure I don't have mp3 capability.

AaronGTR
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM

All those other things are all options on GT's and not exclusive to the GT1. Except the MP3 player, I've never heard of any grand ams with stereos with MP3 capability.

I've said it before people and I'll say it again. The ONLY thing that you could get on GT1's that was NOT available at all on any other grand am model was the steering wheel radio controls. That ONLY thing that was not standard on a GT1 and had to be ordered as an option was the leather interior. That's it, end of list.

/thread

fastandfurious
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I like my GT with sunroof, chrome tech rims and it had the monsoon HU but now it's Kenwood. Just wish it had more HP, sounded better and it was faster

fastandfurious
01-19-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm guessing i could put GT1 stuff in a GT right

AaronGTR
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm guessing i could put GT1 stuff in a GT right

Yeah, you'd just need to get the steering wheel and the wiring harness for it. That's the only difference. Of course, if you already have a different head unit in the car, there's no point. ;) You'd have to buy another interface module for them to operate it.

PhantomLover007
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I still want to get the wheel... lol

techmaster330
06-23-2010, 11:17 PM
So if options are the only difference between GT and GT1, why does Wikipedia (not always right I know) say GT stock has 175 HP while GT1 stock has 205 HP?

Mac0083
06-24-2010, 04:16 AM
wiki is wrong again

GT engine produced, at least according to the factory brochures, 175 HP and 205 torque, not HP

gt vs. the gt1 was just an option package. i think the gt1 had a monsoon stereo and leather seats, or something like that. same engine though.

And welcome to the site, Mike!

[ChaosweaveR]
06-24-2010, 06:30 AM
The LA1 motor is the same no matter if it's a GT or GT1.