Steering Rack [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack

-Wild Joker-
07-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. Looks pretty informative! Ok, here's my question:

I was wondering if anyone knows how to tighten either the steering wheel or the steering rack? I have very loose steering and it is getting worse. I also hear a cranking noise when I turn it back and forth. Starting to drive me nutz!

Well, to whomever responds, thanks! Appreciate it!

-Wild Joker-
07-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Can anyone offer any advice on this?

tenspeed
07-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I don't think that there is any way to tighten a rack and pinion setup. It should be about $100 to buy and another $200 to install (these numbers are very rough). I would not recommend it as a do it yourself project.

Check out the ties rod ends and other associated steering parts before you have the rack changed.

nomojo
07-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I don't think that there is any way to tighten a rack and pinion setup. It should be about $100 to buy and another $200 to install (these numbers are very rough). I would not recommend it as a do it yourself project.

Check out the ties rod ends and other associated steering parts before you have the rack changed.

Yup, you're looking at a replacement.

Dont know how you can do it for $200 though, it was $1100 CDN if i recall correctly just for the part when the dealership did it, and they said $1800 with labor... I dont have the actual bill cuz' it was warrantied, but thats what they claimed.

tenspeed
07-13-2004, 01:45 PM
The numbers are very rough because that's what I paid about ten years ago on a different model car.

edit: I just looked up the prices on www.rockauto.com

Remanufactured - $240

New complete rack - $340 or $400 depending on the part number

ras2002GT
07-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Nomojo,
How did you get the dealership to warranty your steering rack?