Gas Thread :) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas Thread :)

Panacea
07-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Not your ordinary question though.

Shell is advertising their Premium V or whatever it's called that has supposedly 5x more cleaning agents in it.

So, my ? is, would it be beneficial to run this through a tank to help clean out my injectors, or not?

I want to keep my injectors in tip top shape, and I don't want to spend $100 at the dealer every year or two to have them clean it.

Thanks guys.

GTLUVA
07-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Anbody know what kind of gas Kwik Trip gets. I got an Kwik Card so thats why I only go to their. Then when I get the bill at the end of month I know how much I spent for gas that month. But I like going their because the price for the lower grade class is always the same price for the midldle class :)

Licit
07-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Supposedly almost all gas stations use a minor mix of cleaning agents in their fuel. From that I would assume that the Premium V may be near the amount that comes in the fuel injector cleaner formulas meant for use with one tank. BUT near is somewhere like half of what is in the "add to tank formulas", the only feasible way they could add a high amount would be if they were getting some huge bulk deal on it. This comes from the fact it's somewhere around $2 a bottle of one tank injector cleaner. I know the gas can't be even $1 more. What is the price per gallon.
On a sidenote GTLUVA : You're quote should say "Yes, I'm a spoiled brat...", unless you are using improper English to make the point. :)

VaGT
07-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Just don't buy cheap brands and you'l be fine.

Take a few tanks of a good brand (Chevron, Citgo, Texaco (now shell in many places), etc)... then a few tanks of a cheap brand, and figure the average MPG. I bet the cheap brand is noticeable less. ....Exxon is a wierd one... low MPG for a name brand, but good and clean.

Panacea
07-12-2004, 07:19 AM
The V stuff is like $2 here. It doesn't cost more than the premium did.

Licit
07-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Sounds like you would just be best to buy whatever gas you want and then that one tank fuel system cleaner once a week or bi-weekly. Honestly I don't trust the cleaners they add to fuel, it's such large quantities of fuel I can almost guarentee it doesn't break down to a proportion like a bottle of cleaner per full tank of gas.

Greed4Speed
07-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Just use seafoam ever so often

Craig99SE2
07-13-2004, 11:09 AM
I've been using V-Power for the last 2 fill-ups. No noticeable power gain/loss but extra cleaner never hurts! I figure it is the equivalent of a bottle of injector cleaner with every fill out that I'd forget anyway!

mshu7
07-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Just use seafoam ever so often

What all do use SeaFoam for? I know it has multiple purposes (use in gas tank, use in engine, etc.). I've heard nothing but good things about that stuff.

Greed4Speed
07-13-2004, 07:03 PM
You put some in the crank case and pour some in the top of the engine to clean it out.

coupe
07-13-2004, 07:19 PM
I was wondering about this V-POWER also. Sounds like a scam to me. Prove me wrong if it aint. Check other forums if your a member. Proof of some kind would be good. It sounds like a scam to me........It just dont make sense.

mshu7
07-13-2004, 07:54 PM
You put some in the crank case and pour some in the top of the engine to clean it out.

I think the bottle says use it through a vaccuum line but do you know which one to use? I'm definitely going to pick a bottle up next time I'm at the store.

Panacea
07-13-2004, 08:01 PM
It's not really a scam if they aren't charging more for the extra cleaning power. It's $1.99 around here for the V-Power.

I'm gonna have to try some of that seafoam stuff.

coupe
07-18-2004, 02:25 PM
I never checked the price of it. Just seen it driven by.

Love my GT
07-18-2004, 04:02 PM
I was just at a Shell station and they had a special on the v power. If you bought 10 gallons or more you saved 20 cents a gallon. I believe it was $1.96, so if I would have noticed the special before I started pumping I could have gotten gas for ONLY $1.76. This was at a Flying J truck stop, not sure if they are running this special at all Shell stations or not.

UNCTYPE-S
07-18-2004, 04:52 PM
so instead of shell mixing regular water with gas, are they using bottled water now? gas is gas, its just another scam.

Licit
07-19-2004, 12:08 AM
so instead of shell mixing regular water with gas, are they using bottled water now? gas is gas, its just another scam.

It's funny you say that about Shell since they were ranked the worst gas station in Bloomington for water in the gas. I know my fiance could tell since water in the gas would always set off her SES light. She didn't know why until the article was in the paper about Shell stations and high levels of water.