help locating noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : help locating noise

99GTPOS
07-12-2004, 05:13 AM
I have a noise somewhere in the accessory drive system. This past weekend I replaced the water pump and serpentine belt, but it's still there. It sounds like a bearing is bad in something. Anyone have a guess as to what it might be? The AC quit working, so it leads me to suspect the compressor. Any help would really be appreciated. THanks.
Steve

juanvan
07-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Tensioner?

Irate
07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I would check your tensioner just for the hell of it. I believe if the clutch on the AC went, it would actually sieze up, tho I'm not sure. Go to autozone and get a mechanic's stethoscope, or I think sears does free diagnostics (non-computer).

I remember my accessory belt area started making noise just before I got rid of the car... too bad I didn't troubleshoot it, I probably could have helped you out.

atc3434
07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
99's had a TSB for a noisy power steering pump, it'll make a surging sound at idle... perhaps that is what your hearing. The fix requires a fitting drilled out a lil inside the pump, or you can just live with the noise...

99GTPOS
07-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the help. This noise is very loud. Do you think it could be the surging sound you're talking about? The power steering pump does whine all the time. I have poked around when it's making the sound, but I'm having a hard time hearing where it's coming from.

coupe
07-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Its your A/C bearings. The clutch bearings to be exact. Mine does it to. But my A/C works fine. It stops making that sound when i turn it on. Even though your A/C doesnt work anymore try turning it on anyway and see if the noise stops.

atc3434
07-12-2004, 04:52 PM
The powersteering surge sound is not real loud, and isn't very harsh, so its probably not your sound.

99GTPOS
07-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Its your A/C bearings. The clutch bearings to be exact. Mine does it to. But my A/C works fine. It stops making that sound when i turn it on. Even though your A/C doesnt work anymore try turning it on anyway and see if the noise stops.

Thanks for the help!
I don't think it stop when I turn the ac on, but the ac isn't doing anything right now. Do you know if it's possible to buy the non-AC serpentine belt and bypass the compressor altogether? Not like it's doing anything for me anyway!

coupe
07-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Look for kubiaches post. A/C=defog.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35272&highlight=a%2Fc+clutch