Car Code OBD-2 Scanner [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Code OBD-2 Scanner

Craig99SE2
07-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Does anyone out there have the Car Code OBD-2 Scanner? I just got mine and have a few questions.

1. What should I choose as the Enhanced PCM Settings since 99 N-Body LA1 is not available.

2. How can I monitor KR?

iceman
07-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Use W body, 1997, L67. Same enhanced data.

For KR, go to data, hit enhanced, then send possible.. KR will show up, hit it and hit send.

I suggest you use the favorites feature.. so you don't have to hunt through everything to log the same data all the time.

Craig99SE2
07-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I got it to work, but the sampling rate is HORRIBLE! Is there any way to get the KR to show in the graphs? BTW, I got 0KR on my test run, pulled a Rich Bank 1 code and am getting Misfires on Cylinder 4. Hmmm...

iceman
07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
go to options, gateway. change the rate for vpw down to anywhere from 10-30, see what works best.

sure you can get KR on the graph.. once you are recording it, just choose it as an axis and voila

Craig99SE2
07-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Man this software SUCKS! I wished they had a manual or something. I'll take OBD2 ScanMaster anyday!!!

iceman
07-12-2004, 08:02 PM
No it doesn't, you just don't know how to use it. You're a smart guy, figure it out ;)

Craig99SE2
07-12-2004, 08:11 PM
No ... it sucks! lol

Pick up a copy of ScanMaster sometime and check it out ... now that is some SWEET OBD2 software! Too bad it only works on ELM scanners or I'd have been running it hours ago!

I'm getting there ... it's just hard to figure it out when the Help Menu, website and software all say 3 different things! DOH!

iceman
07-12-2004, 08:15 PM
I figured it out in a few minutes..

The interface may look different and be simpler, but any obd2 scanner will tell you the exact same information.. you just aren't familiar with it yet, that's all. The one benefit to this compared to others is ability to communicate with more c2 devices than just the pcm.. which is why I bought it.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-13-2004, 03:21 PM
This is *offtopic*

Is the Car Code ODB-2 Scanner the one at this site? http://www.obd-2.com/

Babalouie
07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Craig, ask for Tech-2 for Christmas!!

iceman
07-13-2004, 04:19 PM
This is *offtopic*

Is the Car Code ODB-2 Scanner the one at this site? http://www.obd-2.com/

Yes.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes.

This site(OBD-2 that is) is horrible to navigate.... Which one would you suggest? I'm looking to buy one and I don't want to get a AutoTap(too expensive)

I went order, then paypal, and it lists a few:

VPW for GM and late DCX - $122
VPW-PWM dual combo for GM and Ford - $142
VPW-ISO dual combo for GM and Euro, Asian Chry - $142

Which one do I need?

iceman
07-13-2004, 04:32 PM
my tricom was $120?? all protocols, one cable.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-13-2004, 04:40 PM
They seem to be alittle more expensive right now $182.00 . I'm debating on paying the extra few to get the tricom though. Even though I only have GM cars and I do not deal much else, you never know when you'll have to.

Thanks for the help.

Another question, with the AutoTap I thought I read that it works with the standard ODB stuff, but you had to get specific upgrades for GM, or the LS1/LS6, or Ford, etc... Is that the same for this, Can I pull those ~26 codes from any vehicle that supports ODB with this basic unit, or just GM cars?

iceman
07-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Even if you get the VPW only product from carcode.. you can do everything you do with the auto tap and more. It has standard obd2 stuff as well as the enhanced data. Not only that, unlike the autotap, it will communicate with the bcm, abs, air bag, and all the other class 2 devices on the network. so yes - you will be able to target code reads and clears at any of the devices in the car.

I got the tricom because it's nice to be able to do ANY obd2 car, single wire.. it's useful to me forever. The software as not as pretty as the autotap but it's just as / more functional.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Great thanks iceman, I think I will get the tricom for the same reason. There are alot of times people ask me about check engines lights and such and I'd like to be able to provide more help. Plus I might next car might not be a GM, I'm sure it will be a GM but you never know. I'm glad you mention that it does more, I was originally under the impression that the AutoTap did more, I see now that it doesn't, which is good because I plan to do more serious mods, and I like to be prepared.

JHawk GT
07-13-2004, 08:33 PM
GAGTSCTGuy, if you're going to get tricom, you might want to think about spending the extra $58 for trican. It's still a bargain. CAN is going to be the required electrical interface for all vehicles beginning in, I believe, 2006. Manufacturers are already using it (Ford, Mazda, Nissan, and others) with 04 models. Trican will keep you functional for a long time. Whichever you choose, I don't think you can beat Alex's stuff for the price and he'll take the time to help you troubleshoot codes over the phone, too.

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
I would forget about Car Code! If you want a good scanner that has the option of about 10 different software packages, go with the ELMScan at http://www.scantool.net

It is $90 for just the scanner and you can D/L choice of software for free. You can also purchase it bundled with decent software from http://www.digimoto.com for $120.

Or ... you can wait a month and I'll sell my Car Code for $75 when I buy myself the ELMScan! lol

GAGTSCTGuy
07-14-2004, 12:04 PM
I would forget about Car Code! If you want a good scanner that has the option of about 10 different software packages, go with the ELMScan at http://www.scantool.net

I saw these about a month ago, I personally thought they looked kind cheap though. Has anyone had any experience with them?

iceman
07-14-2004, 12:08 PM

It is $90 for just the scanner and you can D/L choice of software for free. You can also purchase it bundled with decent software from http://www.digimoto.com for $120.

Or ... you can wait a month and I'll sell my Car Code for $75 when I buy myself the ELMScan! lol

What are the 10 different software packages?

:violin The car-code does everything they do, plus communicates with more than the PCM. If you aren't familiar with the software or can't figure somethin out, just ask, it does just about anything you'll need a scan tool to do, I'll help you out.

iceman
07-14-2004, 12:16 PM
NM found the link -- http://www.scantool.net/software/index.htm at the bottom. Still not impressed enough with feature set to use these, they are all less superior imo. And lifetime support from the author, still can't beat that. to each his own tho :) :cheers:

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Bugger off Seth! :p

I got the software all figured out now and yes, all ODB-2 software does the same thing, but at least make it user friendly! Hell, if that was the case, everyone would be using Linux by now! :rolleyes:

The best software I have seen to date depends on the feature you want to use.

For graphing and rel-time data acquisition, OBD-II ScanMaster is the best.
For 0-60, 1/4-mile and HP/Torque estimates, Digimoto hands down!
For data capture to import into Excel and plot your own stuff, any will work.

To each his own! In my experience, Car Code software blows compared to the others. That and his website is poor and don't expect any e-mail responses from him. You have to call to get help and if you are like me and buy it second hand, he won't even help you at all!

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 12:18 PM
By the way Seth, you CANNOT view KR on the graph tab! No Enhanced parameters can be displayed on that tab ...

iceman
07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
I have emailed him a few times and always received a response within 24 hours?????

Oh well... IMO they all present the same information. woop dee doo if it shows hp/torque estimates, nothing you can't figure out yourself with a calculator :p

Anyways :cheers: back to wokr.

By the way Seth, you CANNOT view KR on the graph tab! No Enhanced parameters can be displayed on that tab ...

it dumps to excel.. graph all you want :)

2002AmSE
07-14-2004, 02:43 PM
I read the thing about the 4th cylinder misfire, and I have seen alot of people say they have had the 4th cylinder misfire on their GA too, yet I haven't seen any other people with other single cylinders other than #4, I have seen the P0300 code which is multiple cylinders. I have been having a very occasional P0304 cylinder 4 misfire code that comes on very occasionally(about once month and goes off after the car has been restarted twice or about 10 mins of driving and turns back off).

I was wondering if its just a very sensitive sensor, or if its just coincidence that everyone gets codes for #4, or is it just a habit for this cylinder to have misfires on this engine?

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 02:47 PM
it dumps to excel.. graph all you want :)

But that would require effort on my part! lol

As for the Cylinder #4 misfire ... interesting! I'll keep my eye on it. I plan to do an acquisition of ALL sensors tonight on my way home form work. It will be interesting to see how it runs in everyday traffic. Then later this evening I'll do a high-speed run down 696 when there is no traffic to compare.

iceman
07-14-2004, 02:49 PM
You'll get 1 or 2 misfires registering here and there, I've found out that's kinda normal.. As long as your misfire history isn't through the roof you are ok lol

oooooooooooooh 696 !!!!!! :woowoo

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah ... it was a BAD day for a test! Wall-to-wall! Oh well ... I'll try again. What is "through the roof" in Misfire History? I got like 22 in 10 seconds ... I think I gotsa problem there! :eek:

GAGTSCTGuy
07-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Since this sounds common for people, does a misfire set off the SES light? Or is the only way to find out scanning?

iceman
07-14-2004, 04:27 PM
^^ A severe misfire will set off a blinking SES. One here or there (or many) isn't enough past the threshold to set it off.. dunno what the stock threshold is.

Craig - 22 in Ten seconds.. sounds like a problem. you'll see 1 or 2 every minute or so..

GAGTSCTGuy
07-14-2004, 04:29 PM
you'll see 1 or 2 every minute or so..

That seems like a lot in itself, I guess thats normal?

2002AmSE
07-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Hmm, I've listened to the muffler of more than one car, I hear quite a few more misfires than 1 or 2 per minute. The only way that I could see 1 or 2 per minute being possible would be if you were talking about 1 or 2 per cylinder. There is still small misfires that can happen if a spark doesnt fire correctly or if something wasnt perfect and it just didn't quite go as well as it should. Even my lawnmower misfires every 2 or 3 seconds, even when it was brand new and after new spark plugs and with any carburetor adjustment there is no avoiding misfiring.

About the 22 in 10 seconds, if this was at idle that would be quite excessive, I hope this isnt all coming from one cylinder. That would be 2.2 misfires a second and your engine should reflect the sound that those misfires would be making.

I did a little math, if it was at 600 rpm(idle) 22 in 10 seconds would mean one misfire every 4.45 revolutions or one misfire per every 13.35 sparks. So, if the case was all isolated to a single cylinder(not likely to happen to just one because misfires happen to all cylinders), it would be every other spark to that cylinder.

One time a gas station around my area had a batch of gas that was bad enough to cause SES lights on cars that had the gas. It could be bad or old gas in the car if it happens and is better once the gas is replaced. Spark plugs and wires are cheap and usually canidates for frequent replacement, so if its been acting strangely for awhile I would swap those.

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Brand new gas, aftermarket wires ... failry new plugs, have yet to pull it and look. As for being one cylinder, yes it is ... #4. Obviously an ignition problem.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Brand new gas, aftermarket wires ... failry new plugs, have yet to pull it and look. As for being one cylinder, yes it is ... #4. Obviously an ignition problem.

You have a aftermarket DIS too right(Saw it in the sig)? If not, would getting another DIS like MSD or Accel possibily fix the problem?

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 05:53 PM
The only aftermarket part is the coil packs. I can rule them out since I would have 2 bad cylinders since each pack feeds 2 cylinders.

Was thinking of an MSD. It definitely would not hurt things!

GAGTSCTGuy
07-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I'm curious if it would help, they claim it helps prove a better spark. I have not used one or heard from anyone who used it so, just a guess.

Craig99SE2
07-14-2004, 07:28 PM
I've used MSD on previous cars and it does exactly what it says. Stronger spark, multiple spark. Idle is smooth as silk and throttle response is instantaneous.

PACE
05-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Figured I would reply to this post instead of starting a new one....

Need yourt help Seth....

My car was running rough as hell at idle and threw the SES light. It came and went but now the SES light is permenently on. I replaced the plugs and now the car seems to be running perfect. However the SES light is still on. I went to Auto Zone and they pulled a P0304 code and said I needed to replace the plugs and I would be fine. I told them that I did that last week and that the car is now running fine. I asked that they clear the code for me so I could see if it came back or would stay gone..... Ass clowns said NO, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CLEAR CODES.... JUST TELL YOU WHAT THEY ARE.

So the car seems to be running fine but the SES light remains after many hours of driving on the new plugs.

Could it be a misfire and the new plugs are just briefly masking the issue with a better spark or is this damn light just going to stay on until I get the code cleared??

F- Auto Zone.

Does P0304 refer to just cylinder #4 or could it really just mean that I needed new plugs like the ghetto lady at Auto Zone said? She had bright red hair. :):attention

iceman
05-14-2006, 01:30 PM
0304 means cyl #4 yeah.. pretty sure about that.

The SES light is supposed to go out after 3 ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and passes. It will stay in the history for 40 warmup cycles.. So if you've had 3 ignition cycles and it's still on, sounds like there is still a problem. Get the codes pulled again to make sure nothing new popped up... If you had a scan tool, you could monitor misfires real-time to see what was going on.