ignition problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ignition problem

spanky
07-13-2004, 11:19 AM
need help trouble shooting a problem i'm having here.....

my car stalls and the voltage/battery light and oil pressure light comes on .... does it no matter what gear it's in, no matter the temp of the car.....

battery holds a 12V charge sitting, 14.5V idling..... Crank sensor is fine.... replaced a problematic plug wire (slice in it).... checked battery ground (good).... Alt wire on the Alt itself is good....

The charge is in the battery and the alt is charging fine..... the only thing i can think of is a ICM or coil pack(s)....

This is all on an '01 3100 with 18,000 miles.... i just swapped it in place of the old '96 3100 about 1 month ago..... coil packs/ICM are all from the '96.....

I'm at a complete loss here.... i'm a little comfused why the oil pressure and the voltage light comes on....

Craig99SE2
07-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Both those lights will come on when the car stalls. Voltage light indicates alternator not outputting, oil temp means loss of oil pressure ... both of these happen when it stalls, so that is normal.

Find someone with a scanner to see if it is setting any codes.

spanky
07-13-2004, 12:17 PM
alright, thanks... on the previous engine when it stalled it didn't throw any lights, so i was curious about it, but i figured it was because the output and pressure had stopped....

oh this should be fun.... gonna pick up an OBDII code reader for $50. U.S., but it won't erase the codes, atleast i'll get an idea....

Craig99SE2
07-13-2004, 12:28 PM
To be honest, you'd be better off spending $120 and getting a full-blown scanner from http://www.obd-2.com or http://www.digimoto.com

These will allow you to monitor sensor outputs, clear codes, etc. If you just want to pull a code, most parts stores (i.e. AutoZone in the US) will do it free of charge figuring they might get to sell you the parts that are bad.

Also, the code will clear itself after the problem is fixed (or at least turn off the SES light).

spanky
07-13-2004, 12:53 PM
yeah, that's why i'm not really looking for one to clear the codes.... plus i'm in Canada and they're about $250. CDN with taxes, i can skip across the boarder into the U.S. (Buffalo) and hit up Harbour Freight and grab one cheap.... just need to know what the problem is, i know the upper O2 sensor is bad (not enough to throw a code, but when it's monitored witha scanner it's not within parameters).... so i'm gonna pick the O2 sensor up first....

My experience with bad O2 sensors are that they only affect the car when it's warm... atleast on the single O2 3.1 MPFI in my Cavalier it's that way....