Air condition [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Air condition

StephenM
07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
I hope you guys can help me. I noticed the other day on a trip home that my air conditioner wasn't blowing air out very much at all, even when I turned it all the way up. Then thirty min later it would work fine, then it would quit, and etc etc. Any reason why sometimes the fan would blow the cold air and sometimes it wouldn't? It would still make the noise like it was trying, but hardly anything was coming out. Thanks!

02andahalfgt
07-13-2004, 06:03 PM
It does that sometimes when it reaches a certain temperature, like a a/c in your home, it kicks on and off when it gets too cold.

StephenM
07-14-2004, 05:28 AM
Hmm...the windows were down so I don't think it could have been too cold unless you mean in the compressor??

02andahalfgt
07-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the compressor and condenser, sorry. Once it reaches a certain temperature it kicks off so that it doesn't freeze up. Having the windows down with the a/c on isn't a real good thing either.

Dan00GPGT
07-15-2004, 05:57 AM
Are you saying the air went from ice cold to lukewarm or that the fan just wasn't pushing air out of the vents? If the fan wasn't pushing air out of the vents, you may have a vacuum problem that was causing the the vent selection to change. It also could have been your blower motor resistor as well although they usually are either on or off.

StephenM
07-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Let me just tell you exactly what happened. I had the air on 2 and it was coming out fine (windows down cause I can :) ). About half hour later I rolled the windows up and turned it up to 3 and it was BARELY coming out then. I could hear the fan still running, and every notch I turned it up the fan got louder. The air I could barely feel was still cold, but it seemed as if it was leaking somewhere else in the car. I checked the defrost and floor vents, but nothing. I don't understand how one minute it could be fine, then not be coming out at all if it was a vacuum problem. This has happened to me more than once, but I do notice that it happens whenever the car has been running for quite some time, more than an hour I'd say.

02andahalfgt
07-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Why would you put your windows down with the air on? That's like trying to cool a very large room with a 5,000 BTU a/c. You're putting a lot of stress on the compressor because it's only there to cool off the tiny cabin of a GA, not the rest of the planet.

daxx
07-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Let me just tell you exactly what happened. I had the air on 2 and it was coming out fine (windows down cause I can :) ). About half hour later I rolled the windows up and turned it up to 3 and it was BARELY coming out then. I could hear the fan still running, and every notch I turned it up the fan got louder. The air I could barely feel was still cold, but it seemed as if it was leaking somewhere else in the car. I checked the defrost and floor vents, but nothing. I don't understand how one minute it could be fine, then not be coming out at all if it was a vacuum problem. This has happened to me more than once, but I do notice that it happens whenever the car has been running for quite some time, more than an hour I'd say.

My GT does exactly the same thing; eventually it will stop blowing even if the fan is on #5. If I turn the a/c off, but leave the fan running, the air is still cool for a while, but as it starts to heat up, the amount of air coming out the vents increases, and sometimes I can hear what sounds like ice melting in the airbox. After about 10 minutes, if I put the a/c back on, it blows really hard again. I just live with it... dealer told me that "they all do that", which I know to be BS as a rental Grand Am I had when my car was in the shop with leaky LIM gaskets didn't have the same problem. The drain tube is clear, as when the car has been standing with the air on, there is a puddle of water underneath the car. It also seems to be worse on humid days. When I lived in Florida, it would stop blowing after about 15 minutes on really humid days.

T&A
08-02-2004, 11:56 AM
What is happening is that you are causing a condition where the condensate is freezing, blocking the evaporator and not allowing air to be blown through it.

preed4962
08-02-2004, 12:38 PM
What is happening is that you are causing a condition where the condensate is freezing, blocking the evaporator and not allowing air to be blown through it.

*iagree*

daxx
08-02-2004, 04:00 PM

Yes, I know that! :p (I spent 6 months fighting an old window AC that did the same thing, and I went through several wierd problems with the AC on my old Hyundai.)

I want to know how to fix it, but I suspect it will mean taking the entire dashboard apart to get the the HVAC unit inside the car. There should be an ice-stat somewhere on or near the evaporator, that detects the forming of ice and disengages the compressor to allow the ice to melt in the incoming air. I know the drain is not blocked as the car leaves a puddle on the ground if you sit still with the AC on, and the compressor is fine because the air gets really cold.

Mike Jung
08-02-2004, 08:20 PM
dax,

What setting are you using? Like MAX or a vent setting with the AC button on.

I think:
If you use the MAX setting with the AC button on; the cabin air is recycled into the AC system, which helps lower the temperature faster.
But if you use it too long, the cabin air temp is already cooled & gets recycled into the AC system.
Letting the AC system freeze up.

Try using the vent position with the AC button on after you cool off the car cabin air temperature with the MAX setting.
This way the AC will have to draw outside hot air into the AC system & cool it off.
Which might help it from freezing up.

And why would you drive with the AC on with the car windows down :rolleyes:
If you want some fresher air, use the VENT setting with the AC button on.