Idle Speed not adjustable on GA's [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Idle Speed not adjustable on GA's

-Wild Joker-
07-13-2004, 12:50 PM
I just read somewhere that the idle speed is not adjustable on GA's because they do not use distributors. Is this true.

More imprtantly, does anyone know how to clean the dirt build up out of our engine? Is their a product you could buy or does a garage have to do it?

Thanks!

Dr_Kyle
07-13-2004, 01:35 PM
There's an idle adjustment screw on the throttle body. I wouldn't recommend messing with it unless you know what you're doing.

Craig99SE2
07-13-2004, 01:53 PM
I think it is also set in the PCM. So you get it rough via the adjustment screw, then the PCM fine tunes it with the IAC valve. Changing the screw on the TB will only mess it up unless you can also change it in the PCM.

atc3434
07-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Adjusting the screw on the TB just adjusts the minimum amount of air that will flow through the Thorttle Body. The computer fine tunes the idle speed by adjusting the amount of airflow via the idle air control valve. Adjusting the screw will do nothing but create something for your computer to try and figure out.

As for cleaning the engine... I use S100 Cycle Cleaner... its an all purpose cleaner that works quite well. I wet the motor (cold motor) just a little, then start spraying on the cleaner, one area at a time, and then use a toothbrush to loosen any stubburn spots. I do the whole motor this way, then rinse with a gentle stream of water. Be sure to avoid hosing the altenator, coilpacks, and other delecate electrical components. A little water won't hurt them, but certain don't wet them purposely. Finally, when your all rinsed, start the engine up and let it run awhile to dry... maybe take a 15 minute drive to really get all the water good and gone.