fix lifter tick [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : fix lifter tick

tammikm
07-13-2004, 05:22 PM
what is the best oil additive to use to get rid of the lifter tick? is tehre a product from GM called EOS? someone told me that but i cant find it. also is it safe for me to switch from castrol syntec synthetic oil to mobil 1 synthetic oil?

thanks

zerogman
07-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Well, lifter tick happens when your lifters run dry, or go bad... most likely if you let your car sit still for awhile, that can happen... Anyway, if it just started happening, you need to run your car at higher RPM's so the oil will splash up onto the cam and lifters... They should queit down after a short while.

And Yes, there is a cleaning solution that GM calls EOS. It's basically a VERY strong degreaser mainly for breaking up carbon build-up, but it's best to do on a dry motor... The advantage of using EOS vs. others is that EOS burns up without leaving a residue... Well, considering your year of vehicle, you shouldn't have a lifter go bad unless you've taken them out, cleaned them, and the replaced them after bleeding the oil out of them...

Easiest solution, change your oil, rev the engine when in park to around 3000 then after your oil is changed... and no, there isn't anything bad about changing brands of synthetic so long as you keep it the same weight... (5W30)

If your lifters are still ticking after a week, send me a PM and I can tell you what else you can do to fix it.

- Zero