Need Help Please! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please!

-Wild Joker-
07-15-2004, 06:06 AM
Ok, I once had to drive home with 5 sprak plugs instead of 6, about 25 miles.
Ever since then, I have had a rough idle. Any idea what could've happened during this time to give it a rough idle?

What kind of tool would you buy to see of you have the same spark on all the plugs?

Thanks!

Dan00GPGT
07-15-2004, 06:53 AM
You didn't drive home with the 6th plug not in the engine did you? Did you cut a plug wire or something? My guess would be that if you didn't have that 6th "circuit" completed you could have strained one of your coils which may now be firing much weaker than the rest. Hard to tell without knowing what you mean by only 5 of 6 plugs...

-Wild Joker-
07-15-2004, 06:56 AM
I have a V6 but cracked a plug and pulled it out and drove home with only 5 spark plugs in the engine. Is their a tool to measure the draw on a coil to see which one it is?

Dan00GPGT
07-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Where did you put the spark plug wire that wasn't connected anymore? If you just pulled the wire off completely I would imagine you'd be ok. I'm not sure if there is a tool to measure spark but I'm guessing that the scanners GM has would be able to tell some kind of parameter in that area. You could also get one of the grounding plugs that clips to your engine and crank the car. You should see a nice blue spark. Just don't hold the wire or plug while you're cranking....

I could be off here as well but you might want to try resetting the PCM. When you had the 6th plug not firing it very well could have screwed up the tables the PCM uses to control the car.

NjccBflo
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
I have a V6 but cracked a plug and pulled it out and drove home with only 5 spark plugs in the engine....

sooo not a good idea. think that cylinder would've overloaded and thrown a dozen or so codes? misfire, rich, etc...? 25 miles of raw mixture being exhausted, think it helped the cat any?
okay, you have put a new plug in since, right? if so, replace the corresponding coil, reset the ecu and see if that clears up a little.

-Wild Joker-
07-15-2004, 02:12 PM
I got a misfire code, but not in the cylinder that the plug was missing out of. The misfire code has since gone away. Why replace the coil? Could I test it with a diode or something?