Whirring noise from front end.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whirring noise from front end....

dxtreme_85
07-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Ok, so I'm driving my car earlier today, coming back from Jegs, and there is a trash truck stopped in the road. I slow down behind him to see if there are any cars coming the other way, i'm doing about 15 at the time, so I pull it back into first gear. The car pauses for about 3 seconds, then finally starts to jerk really hard. I pop it into neutral, rev it up a bit, and after it returned to idle, I popped it back into Drive, and passed the truck. About 1/4 mile later, I heard a crunch, or something..i'm not really sure what it was....so I pulled over to check....I couldn't find anything. However, the entire ride home after that, I can hear a whirring noise coming from the front end. It almost sounds like its coming from the pass. side, but it could just be my perception of it. When you give it gas....not a lot, but not too little, the sound fades away, but immediately comes back when you start to decel. Please, somebody...anybody...have any idea what is wrong with my car. 2001 GT coupe. Somebody help ASAP!!

2002AmSE
07-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Is it a barely audible high-pitched whining sound? I have that on mine, I think it happened on mine from when I had given my car gas too quickly after going from reverse into drive in a parking lot when I had to avoid a collision. It's been about 12,000 miles from when my car developed the sound and I havent heard it in other GA's. On my car I can hear it at any speed above about 15 mph and up to about 50(until road noise gets louder than it). The on mine seems to follow the road speed and in all gears and seems to follow road speed(same pitch at the same speed regardless of which gear)

Does this sound anything like what you are experiencing?

dxtreme_85
07-18-2004, 09:20 AM
No...thats not quite it. I took my car out the other day and got it up to 85mph...and the noise only gets louder and louder. Its definately something in the drivetrain. Later on, I tried again, at WOT, and it sounded like I almost tore up first gear. So yesterday I came out, and there was tranny fluid all over the ground. The casing of the tranny is cracked, about 3"-4" long. It goes to the tranny shop tomorrow.

2002AmSE
07-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Ouch!!