FNG with a Question about replacing the Lower Intake Gasket. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : FNG with a Question about replacing the Lower Intake Gasket.

jorgensensc
07-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Hey all, the new guy here with a quick question for the gurus over here. i belong to another board for my 1972 Chevy Truck, so I know how useful these boards are.
To start with I don't have a Grand Am, sorry, but I do have a 3.4 engine that came out of a 1995 Camaro. I will be putting it along with a 5 speed tranny out of an s10 in a 1966 MG Misget.
The engine only had 53k miles on it, but I decided to tear the intake off to 'check it out '(not to mention I have to flip the intake around backwards to make it fit under the hood!).
I'm pretty handy withthe tools, but I need a little help. I bought new gaskets, but, In order to replace the lower intake gasket I will have to remove the pushrods from the rocker assembly. Normally this would be easy, just find TDC on cylinder 1 and remove one set of exhaust and intakes (I can't remember which ones right now) then go 360 to TDC (180 deg out)again, but on the exhaust stroke and remove the other set. BUT this engine has no timing marker bolted to the timing cover or on the balancer!!! How do you know when you are really at TDC and not a few degrees off? The engine is not installed and this needs to be done before it is installed, so I can't just start it up and tighten the rockers until they quit making noise. It is computer controlled, so that's why no timing marks, but come on?
Is there a trick???
Any help/Suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Shawn

eric99gt
07-16-2004, 03:32 AM
i'm sure there will be somebody that can help ya here. but just to let ya know the 3.4 that came out of the camaro was a different engine than what our 3400 is.

jorgensensc
07-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the block was essentally the same. I guess I was wrong. I looked at the pics in the sticky yp top (Cooling System) and it looks like y'all also have to remove the pushrods to install the lower intake gaskets. I can't figure out if somehow my engine is missing a timing tab, or if it never came with one. The book I have doesn't even mention removing the rods to install the gaskets, but I can plainly see that I have to as the gaskets say in big letters 'Do Not Cut'. Thanks agian, any help would be appreciated.
Shawn

jorgensensc
07-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Any help guys and gals?