'01 GT starting problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '01 GT starting problem

ronayne
07-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Hi, I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if this has been discussed. I just bought my GT 3 weeks ago and it only has 25,000 miles, but I've had a couple problems. I had to have my lower gaskets replaced and for some reason it seems to struggle to start about 3 out of 10 times. It's hard to show somebody because I don't know when it's going to do it. It seems like when I show somebody, it happens to start fine. I told a mechanic and he changed the air filter, which did nothing. Sometimes it labors for about 5 seconds before it finally starts. Could somebody please tell me what's going on? I don't know if it's the starter, something electrical, or what? Thanks for any help.

Ryan Houston

papiogagt
07-17-2004, 08:56 AM
you have to let your fuel pump finish warming up and pressuizing the system.. when you turn your key to on, and not start it, listen for a little humming noise from the rear, when that stops, then crank, it hsould turn right over every time!

2002AmSE
07-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Yup, put the key to on, wait 2 seconds and start. I usually crank it about a second before its done because then its already got enough pressure to start.

It's a normal thing for late model Grand Am's

AndyVTek
07-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Yup, put the key to on, wait 2 seconds and start. I usually crank it about a second before its done because then its already got enough pressure to start.

It's a normal thing for late model Grand Am's

*iagree*

ronayne
07-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the quick response! I've never had a car with that so I didn't know anything about it. That takes some stress off my mind.

Thanks again everybody,

Ryan