New Tranny & Still Same Problem; HELP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Tranny & Still Same Problem; HELP

Intuit57
07-19-2004, 03:06 PM
I just got my '99 GA back today after having the tranny rebuilt. (extended warranty thankfully) $1955. Canadian. The original problem was that when the engine was really hot I would go from Park to Drive(or to reverse etc) and the engine would revvv like crazy and not move at all..then it would slowly move while still revving..then a clunk and it would abruplty slam into gear.
The following was *supposedly* done on the tranny;
Tranny Box kit (incld. all frictions, steeles and all seals)
Pump Assembly
Solenoids
Bushing Kit
Torque Converter
Tranny Oil
Re & Re Tranny
Rebuild Tranny
Flush Cooler
They kept the car since last Tuesday because of some screw up with the extended warranty company or whatever(it was hell to be without a car that long..we had a Corolla for 3 days..but too much $$) and today I went to get it.
I go fill up with gas and go through the auto touchless car wash. Upon exiting the car wash I put it in Drive and it effen does the exact same thing as before!! It revvvs & revvvs and it kept doing it longer than it used to! I went into my regular mechanic(not the Tranny shop) and I duplicated the problem for him..he called the tranny shop(his friends) and told him it was still effed-up. Now I have to go SACRIFICE the car tomorrow again for who knows how damn long!

Could this problem have nothing to do with the tranny? If so, what?
I've used the search feature on here and have the following ideas:
1) reset the PCM
2)electrically controlled tranny, electrical problem
3)line pressure
4)bad sylinoid in the trans on the 1-2 shift
5)pressure control solenoid
Being a woman who knows little about cars makes me feel so vulnerable to abuse at repair shops...so any help is really appreciated...ideally..please help before tomorrow morning!
Thanks all for listening/reading all this.

p.s. Consider 1sourceautowarranty.com .. we paid $932 US and they've covered at least $4600 Canadian..so far!

Craig99SE2
07-20-2004, 06:13 AM
Yes, the trans is electrically-controlled, but Park to Drive is not. When the trans is put from park to drive, the flex plate turns the TC which is now coupled to the input shaft and turns the planetaries turning the wheels. The electronic control is more for shifting, etc.

Sounds like a bad torque converter...

Intuit57
07-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the info Craig... though the tranny-shop apparently put a new Torque Conv in... so do you think they're BSing?

The car is back in the shop now...I suggested he check the battery terminals(after reading stuff on this forum)... but ^$%% I have to pay for another *&^&*%en rental! We have a '05 Focus...it's roomier & zippier than the Corolla we had last week.

Craig99SE2
07-20-2004, 08:04 AM
I'd have them test the converter for you. They should be able to test it there ... if not, they can send it out and have it done.

Intuit57
07-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Hmmmmmmmm I just called the Tranny shop to suggest they check the converter...he firmly said, "you have a new one in there" and dismissed my suggestion.

MetaGTP1
07-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Was the tranny reprogrammed? There is a procedure done through the diagnostic port using the Tech2 at the dealer. :)

Intuit57
07-20-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi Kman;

I just called the guy (he probably hates me by now :) and he said although these are all "GOOD" tips, he's done them all. :banghead

MetaGTP1
07-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi Kman;

I just called the guy (he probably hates me by now :) and he said although these are all "GOOD" tips, he's done them all. :bangheadThe only other possibilities I can think of are, the TPS or the IAC sensor.

Craig99SE2
07-20-2004, 03:46 PM
The TPS would be a viable thing to check, but if it was bad, the car would surge as well. The IAC will not affect much other than idle. It almost has to be the converter! Nothing else makes sense.

Intuit57
07-21-2004, 05:25 AM
Hiya Craig;
Thanks for your input. The tranny guy said if it was the T-Converter it would eff up in reverse too...and this is just from Park to Drive or Reverse to Drive...mostly P to D though. Anyhow, we have the car back..again. The tranny guy could not get the car to duplicate the problem for him..of course! Ok, so if it is NOT the Torque Conv could it be electrical? He checked all the codes he could and saw nothing.
p.s. he said the warranty company sounded like they were 'done' with us... lol

Craig99SE2
07-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Let me dig up my GM Hydra-Glide manuals and see what I can find out ...

Intuit57
07-21-2004, 08:41 AM
:crying: :crying: I just returned from picking up the car..getting a few groceries and was on the way home. I saw a "Missing Cat" sign on my street so I reversed(no probs)..checked the kitty's pic out and put it from N to Drive and it revved & revved and revved then slowly kicked into gear!!!! OMG I feel so frustrated! :banghead :crying:

P.S. I read somewhere that there was a recall/tsb(?) on the RPM Flare (in tranny) could this have anything to do with my problem?

spectre
07-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Not sure if its related but I just got my car back from the shop cause I was having problems with my car doing similar things to yours. It wouldn't rev like you said but if I stepped on the gas it wouldn't move like it should and would sort of chug or be really rough. It would go away after a minute or so. I took it in and they ended up replaceing my plugs and wires and doing a fuel injection flush and it runds great now. Iono maybe have them check the plugs? Just throwing that out there. Not sure if it will help.

Intuit57
07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I appreciate your reply Spectre :) This problem has been with the car for almost 3 years...I'm almost out of warranty so I thought I'd better get it looked at. I have 157,000kils(Canadian metric) and just put in new plugs for the 2nd time. Previously I put in new wires..but the mechanic said the wires were fine. I also just had a new fuel pump ($$$) and a new fuel filter put in. I've also had 3 injection flushes in the life of my car. I mean, I am kinda anal(is that a swear word on here?) when it comes to maintenance. Thanks for giving me a chance to vent a little more! ;)

Hexx
07-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Shouldnt a rental car be covered under warenty? I know whenever my 'rents got their stuff fixed under it, they never paid for the rental.

The problem def sounds like the TC....

Intuit57
07-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Hiya Hexx;

Well the rental is covered for 2 days... 1 day for each 8 hours of work and they go by the book of labor times. The shop was *supposed* to have my car for 2 days but it got extended 1 day by the warranty company misplacing a fax and then a day by the tranny shop trying to submit the claim before the work was done..they (tranny guy)called me at 4pm saying..you have to come sign something..I said..no you have to do the work 1st..he says..."oh is that what they want?":loser Then it was Friday and they are closed on the weekend. It was hellish and continues to be since the prob is there...even a little worse it seems !

Craig99SE2
07-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Have them take you to a shop with a Tech 2 scanner AND with a Certified GM Powertrain tech. He can hook up the T2 and do the Garage Shift Test and the Road Test. If it is in fact a sensor, those 2 tests would definitely find it!

Intuit57
07-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Good suggestion Craig b/c now, suddenly, the tranny guy says he wants to re-replace the pressure solenoid and another torque converter..says perhaps the parts-place gave him a faulty part!
Thanks for having my back so they won't continue to eff me around! I have never got as much respect at a car repair place before I joined this forum.

Craig99SE2
07-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Good deal! Let us know how it turns out ...

Intuit57
07-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi all!

Got the "Baby" back again today... after driving awhile the car STILL does the exact same thing... the tranny guy said the only thing left is the neutral safety switch..does this make any sense? Any other ideas?

Here's what I found about that switch: "This is a part found on all cars with automatic transmissions. It prevents the starter from engaging if the transmission is in any gear other than 'Park' or 'Neutral'. It also turns on the back-up lights when the transmission is shifted into "reverse". It can get out of adjustment or fail."

Craig99SE2
07-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Neutral safety switch I would not believe! That does nothing other than what you stated.

However, there is a switch that tells the PCM what gear the trans is in ... that *might* be a possibility. It would think the trans kicked down when it didn't which would make it seem like it isn't trying to engage.

Carmaniac
07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
i had the same problem with my tranny. i just got it serviced now it doesnt do it anymore.

Intuit57
08-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Update: Seems like 3 times is a charm b/c my tranny *seems* fixed. It took them replacing the valve body to fix it. I had this problem from when the car was new..so I assume I had a 'bad' valve body all along? Anyhow, now when I put it into a gear it makes a clickish/clankish noise and drops kinda hard into gear..is that okay?
Thanks again for all your help!

Blight
09-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Hm, i have the same problem, i was thinking maybe excessnve heat was causing the tranny to screw up. But then i havent done too much to it to make it hotter, but it always acts up in stopped traffic so i figured the heat just gets in there. I dont know cause i cant figure it out. So your car runs fine now after fixing a bad vale body???

Intuit57
09-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi Blight;
The new valve body seems to have done the trick. My car would *only* do it when the engine was very warmed up, like after a fast drive on the highway etc & only when I would be putting the car back into drive after a stop etc.

Blight
09-02-2004, 06:29 AM
If your still around Intuit, can you tell me if your car still makes that clickish/clankish noise? Also how much did you spend and what type of shop? Thanks!!!

Intuit57
09-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Hiya!
Yes the gears are a little rougher from Park to Drive but at least the car goes now! Nothing helped me except a new valve body, as I said. I took it to a specialized transmission shop...which couldn't diagnose the tranny problem..I had to use these boards and came up w/Valve Body! *grrrrrrrr@know-it-all mechanics*