2.4L TwinCam as susceptible to gasket failure/leak as it's V6 brethren? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2.4L TwinCam as susceptible to gasket failure/leak as it's V6 brethren?

SHawk670
07-20-2004, 12:04 AM
So i've been away from the GrandAM forums since I got my Camaro, and checking them again i've noticed that Gasket failure and coolant loss seems to run rampent on Grand Am-Gt's. My question is does the 2.4L TwinCam suffer from the same problem with failing gaskets and such as the 3400sfi's?? I've always been against the use of the DexCool, after seeing the horriors of GM's coolant cause havic on family members 99 Blazer 4.3 and 01 Silverardo 4.3 Votech also. Unfortantly I never switched coolant in my 99 Ga-Se, and now im seeling low coolant lights, and the coolant tank doesn't seem as full as it used to be, still holds Dexcool but seems to be a lot lower. Even this the insane Oklahoma Heat the tempature gauge never seems to go beyond half way about 200, that's sitting in traffic with the A/C on. I check my oil all the time, it doesn't appear to be milkey or anything other than what it should look like, however the car has always sucked oil, and ran a tad on the rich side. So, should I just flush the system and see what happens? Are they any other signs for gasket failure? The dexcool has been in there for a long time, so it needs to be flushed either way. Maybe I can get by with a new coolant sensor and some oldschool Green coolant. :)

carsarecool
07-21-2004, 03:57 PM
ive heard it might be the water pump too, my 99 GA 2.4 has had the low coolant light come on once in a while every few weeks, then it gets more frequent til i add new coolant, then it goes away for a while. few days ago it came on almost all the time then stayed on, and i left the car at idle when i went in my house for 5 mins and the temp gauge was all the way over to the 4th line, not quite to the red area, so i added some then and it was fine. just came back on today, im probly gonna take it in soon.

Rba007
07-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Water Pumps in the 2.4s are NOTORIOUS. AND VERY Expensive to fix (labor).