new battery for winter?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : new battery for winter??

carsarecool
07-21-2004, 05:10 PM
hey, my 99 has 78,500 miles on it, with the original ACDelco battery, still works fine but i was wondering if i should get a new one. my buddy's 98 malibu with 95k miles still had the original batt. and the alternator went a few weeks ago, killed them both. im going out west in NY this fall for school, so im wondering what the difference is with an Optima Redtop or Yellowtop, anybody have these or are they better for really cold starts? mine actually worked pretty good this past winter when it was -45 degrees out. it says 6 year battery, and that little indicator is still green, but its the original so j/w if i should look at a new one before winter. thanks in advance

EBlend
07-21-2004, 05:35 PM
i say get a new battery..i am talking from experience here...my battery also had that nice lil green light on there...battery was original ac delco..and let me tell you...when the battery goes..it will happen at the worst possible time. I drove to work last saturday, parked the car...worked half day, got off at 12...get in teh car...NOTHING! battery was completely dead. so i got a jump and thought it would charge up by the time i get home 30 min away..come home...absolutely nothing...all i get is a tick...and i left work early that day for a reason..i had a joint barbeque to go to! 30 some odd ppl coming....and i am stranded at home cuz my battery is dead! so i messed around thought maybe there was a short or something, but didn' tfind anything...got really frustrated...but survived it all day on boost. Next day took the battery in to get tested...BAD BATTERY...saw it myself on the little lcd screen on a battery tester..battery decided to crap out on me. Bought a nice new one...has a 9 year warranty so i won't have to worry about a battery for the remainding life of this car. I was thinking optima and all that...but too expensive really...and pointless if ur not into runnign ur car on battery...mine cost me 100 cad and delivers 1000 Cold cranking amps...good enough for me :D

I say change it...its not that expensive

Craig99SE2
07-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Just get an Optima and be done with it! lol

Seriously, I bought my Optima in 1993 and it is in it's 3rd vehicle and running like Day 1! No doubt about it ... I'll never buy anything else! This winter I got my Jeep running so swapped Optima in it and bought a Sears "WeatherHandler Platinum" for the Grand Am. After 3 total discharges ... aka ... mornings leabing me sit ... I took it back and got a 100% refund. Bought another Optima and been happy ever since!

carsarecool
07-21-2004, 07:46 PM
thanks guys- are optimas really that expensive? i guess their really good, so i was thinkin one of those, a diehard weatherhandler or a good acdelco, i got a few months to decide though. if their like wiiiicked expensive il probly get a diehard, ive never had to change a battery so i have no idea of the cost, i dont want it to be more than $140 installed and evertything, is that low or high?

Craig99SE2
07-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Optima retail is $120. If you have a friend with a Costco membership, they are $99!