add abs/disc brakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : add abs/disc brakes

ozorowsky
07-21-2004, 09:17 PM
how hard would it be to swap out the rear drum brakes for disc brakes? How much should this cost?

Also how hard would it be to add ABS to my Grand AM SE? How much should it cost?

Anyone have any writeups on both? Thanks guys. :driving:

Azrael
07-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Are you sure your car doesn't have ABS brakes already? My car is a decade old and ABS wasn't even an option, it was standard.

As for rear disc brakes I think you can swap parts from a 99+ gt as they have rear discs. There should be more info about that in the wheels/brakes/suspension area of the forum or you can use the search function.

iceman
07-21-2004, 11:22 PM
I think the info to convert is around here soemwhere.. off the top of my head, lightningGA has it done.

preed4962
07-22-2004, 10:20 AM
When Bob Lutz took over at GM, all of those 'standard' things that GM had done for years he phased out (ABS was one of them). Surveys indicated that many people were willing to give up these things for a break on the price of the car. So for 2004 ABS is no longer 'standard' on base SE Grand Am's. You must add ABS or move up a model to the SE1.

-Paul

Y2KGA
07-22-2004, 11:05 AM
When Bob Lutz took over at GM, all of those 'standard' things that GM had done for years he phased out (ABS was one of them). Surveys indicated that many people were willing to give up these things for a break on the price of the car. So for 2004 ABS is no longer 'standard' on base SE Grand Am's. You must add ABS or move up a model to the SE1.

-Paul

When they discontinued abs/ets as standard they also made CD players standard. People were more concerned about having a CD player than being able to stop safely on a slippery road.

IMO the standard CD player is just nasty looking. It looks like it belongs on a chevy cargo van.

I'd rather get abs and add a nice aftermarket head unit.

ozorowsky
07-22-2004, 07:40 PM
I totally agree, I would rather stop myself. In fact, I was recently in the rain, went to nonchalantly stop, and the car kept going forward. I almost creamed the guy in front of me had I not swerved. Also, is it possible maybe a fuse for the abs is blown? I have an SE1. Thanks for the info.

preed4962
07-23-2004, 02:07 PM
It looks as though I may have mispoke. After reviewing the Pontiac website again I realized that ABS isn't standard until you reach the SE2, so there is the possibility that your SE1 does not have ABS.

Of course the fact that you WERE able to swerve may indicate that you DO have ABS. ABS does NOT make your stops shorter (necessarily) it does however leave you with the ability to steer around things that a non-ABS car would just slide into (regardless of which way you have the wheel turned).

-Paul

Y2KGA
07-23-2004, 02:43 PM
It looks as though I may have mispoke. After reviewing the Pontiac website again I realized that ABS isn't standard until you reach the SE2, so there is the possibility that your SE1 does not have ABS.

Of course the fact that you WERE able to swerve may indicate that you DO have ABS. ABS does NOT make your stops shorter (necessarily) it does however leave you with the ability to steer around things that a non-ABS car would just slide into (regardless of which way you have the wheel turned).

-Paul

an easy way to check if you have ABS is if you have the ets (traction control) button next to the hazzard switch. The traction control system is bundled with the ABS since they run off the same sensors.

ozorowsky
07-23-2004, 06:44 PM
No traction control. And *rubbing chip of my shoulder* I'm a decent driver, when I swerved, I fed into the gas to pull car out of way. But yes, car did keep sliding forward until I hit gas.

So anyways, what would it take to add abs? Can someone shoot me a link? I've never added abs to a non abs car, but am sure I could do it with a writeup somewhere. Thanks.

Y2KGA
07-23-2004, 07:53 PM
No traction control. And *rubbing chip of my shoulder* I'm a decent driver, when I swerved, I fed into the gas to pull car out of way. But yes, car did keep sliding forward until I hit gas.

So anyways, what would it take to add abs? Can someone shoot me a link? I've never added abs to a non abs car, but am sure I could do it with a writeup somewhere. Thanks.

You would need to add speed sensors and the abs computer and change the hydraulic system. To do it using gm parts it will be expensive. go to http://allgmparts.net/partscatalog.html and check out the abs components.

I think that there are aftermarket systems but they arent as good as a factory system.

ozorowsky
07-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I mostly modify my camaro, and there are how-to's and install docs on just about everything I want to do for that. Any write-ups or installs for how to modify a grand am? Thanks.

ozorowsky
07-25-2004, 07:35 AM
ttt?