Tranny question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny question

AMRAAM4
07-22-2004, 05:25 AM
Scenario: Our secretary here at work just bought a used 2000 GAGT, 4-door, Polo Green, 55K miles. She had to buy a car because her last was on it's death bed. She is a single mother of 2 so money is very tight.

Anyway, she bought the car from a local Pontiac dealer off their used inventory. I looked the car over when she first got it and the engine bay seems very clean for the miles, inside was decent and it had new tires. Paint had those tiny scratches in it that all rental cars have from the auto car washes. Well, she was complaing that the car was hesitating last week when she gave it gas. She was taking it in for service so I gathered some info and told her what to have them look for (fuel system, plugs/wires, ignition). She got it back and it still did it, in fact day before yesterday she was drving and hit the gas and all the car did was whine. Couldn't get it going.

Yep...you guessed it...tranny is shot. My question...HOW THE HELL IS A TRANNY GONE on a car with 55k miles??? I don't recall ever seeing this here on a late model and not even on a modified car but maybe 1. I mean, we know our tranny is weak but how many of us here are modified and our tranny's are still going :wtf
I can only guess they are hiding something or the previous owner beat the loving hell out of it, or knew it was going and that's why they dumped it.

Molson
07-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Your last statement is my guess, they dumped the car. When did she buy the car? I know here used cars have to come with a 3 month warranty.

Craig99SE2
07-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Sounds like that car used to have an S/C or something and has been switched back to stock. Either way, she can threaten them by saying they decieved her because technically they must tell her if there is a problem.

cavingman
07-22-2004, 07:11 AM
i doubt it had a blower. you said it had small scratches like rental cars have, that may be your answer right there...

UNCTYPE-S
07-22-2004, 08:22 AM
not to get off topic, but the acura cl's, 04 tl's, and some hondas have their tranny go anywhere between 5k miles and on.

and not to mention my 2000 se had its tranny pretty much rebuilt at 42k miles. but i still think its because of the ATI.

Slim
07-22-2004, 08:32 AM
i doubt it had a blower. you said it had small scratches like rental cars have, that may be your answer right there...

:stupid: Too many Sethelas renting it and beating on it. lol

HotLikeFire
07-22-2004, 08:33 AM
sounds like what my tranny does sometimes. but apparently it did well on the computer diagnostics.. :wtf Still does it sometimes too, that BETTER not happen to me man. Poor gal, whats she gonna do?

erimar77
07-22-2004, 08:48 AM
yeah, i'd take it back and complain right away...before any more time passes in case any kinda 30/60/90 day warranty they might have slipped in there goes away

AMRAAM4
07-22-2004, 09:21 AM
I highly highly doubt the car was boosted prior.

But, I talked to her a bit more. Turns out she has a 24 month warranty on the car, she thought it was only 60days. I told her not to worry then and it should all be covered. However, she is just paranoid now about the condition of the car in its entirety.

Still, I find this to be very odd. She said she didn't get any kind of warning lights either (SVS).

95-GT
07-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Bob, if you can, find out what internally went wrong, like if it was a clutch or a hard part went bad. I am really curious to see who the first person to blow a 4T45(0)E differential up.

Blackrider
07-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Bob, if you can, find out what internally went wrong, like if it was a clutch or a hard part went bad. I am really curious to see who the first person to blow a 4T45(0)E differential up.
I think there was a guy who posted here over a year about about blowing up a diff. he had pics of the gaping hole in the transfer case. So i dont think your the first lol

edit He had like 5k Miles on his to the dealer said it was from wheelspinn :rolleyes:

Alkaholik
07-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Rental cars always get beat on probably just from too many neutral drops

That will kill a tranny in no time

Blackrider
07-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Rental cars always get beat on probably just from too many neutral drops

That will kill a tranny in no time
You cant do a Neutral Drop in a GA

mr_eh
07-22-2004, 04:15 PM
i broke my transmission with 30k miles, now i dont know if driving 15mph in reverse then throwing it into drive and flooring it had something to do with it, but...

p.s. i love warranties :)

XMBlackGT1
07-22-2004, 04:43 PM
My 01 GT1 coupe had a new tranny put in it at 5K miles. Just up and died one day while driving it. Towed it to Pontiac and they put a new tranny in it. They aren't sure why it died.

JesseGT1
07-22-2004, 06:29 PM
My 99GT needed a new tranny at 40k one of the solenoids or something inside the tranny cracked causing the clutces to eat themselvs up. There was no warnning.

Blackrider
07-22-2004, 08:22 PM
My 99GT needed a new tranny at 40k one of the solenoids or something inside the tranny cracked causing the clutces to eat themselvs up. There was no warnning.
My 1-2 shift solenoid is fried, it just needs to be replaced

tim_se1
07-22-2004, 08:39 PM
mine was almost the same as JesseGt1's, it had been slipping for a long time and i took it in. turned out the clutches got burned up. this was around 55k miles.