Aftermarket Rotors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Rotors

nomojo
07-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey All,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of 'Wagner' brake products.. Specifically, rotors. How are they? Do the hold up well to abuse? I'm tired of warping the factory ones.

I know the powerslots are around but I'd have to have them shipped from the US and then after exchange, etc its big $$$, plus, im afraid the powerslots will crack.

Anyways. Wagner? How are they? Guardian? Same question.

Thanks.

tenspeed
07-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Wagner and Raybestos are both big brand names. They both have a variety of products. You can price them both at www.rockauto.com

nomojo
07-25-2004, 12:20 AM
Wagner and Raybestos are both big brand names. They both have a variety of products. You can price them both at www.rockauto.com

I've heard of raybestos before, but not wagner. Thanks for the link

Now the real question.. They're 'big', but are they good?

GM's "big", but their rotors are crap :)

tenspeed
07-25-2004, 06:43 AM
It's hard to compare products like brake rotors since people use the brakes differently. Some coast into a stop and some brake later and harder. Some drive alot of highway miles and some are all city.

The rotors go from "good" to "real good" or higher depending on how much you have to spend. If you choose from the bottom of their line, I think you have similar to stock rotors. The methods of manufacturing and the quality of the materials used increases the price and the life of the rotor.

GM sends out the specifications and buys from the lowest bidder. I still have the original rotors on my '02 GA with 25K miles on them. They might be in the "good" catagory and I am easy on the brakes. I drive 80 miles a day to work on country roads and highway. I tend to get off the gas early and coast into stops and turns, so I expect to get a longer life from my brakes.

nomojo
07-25-2004, 10:00 AM
It's hard to compare products like brake rotors since people use the brakes differently. Some coast into a stop and some brake later and harder. Some drive alot of highway miles and some are all city.

The rotors go from "good" to "real good" or higher depending on how much you have to spend. If you choose from the bottom of their line, I think you have similar to stock rotors. The methods of manufacturing and the quality of the materials used increases the price and the life of the rotor.

GM sends out the specifications and buys from the lowest bidder. I still have the original rotors on my '02 GA with 25K miles on them. They might be in the "good" catagory and I am easy on the brakes. I drive 80 miles a day to work on country roads and highway. I tend to get off the gas early and coast into stops and turns, so I expect to get a longer life from my brakes.

d'oh. welp, i dont ride them, but I overheat them alot from rapid braking I'd say. 13,000 km's and the factory ones were insufferable. Just had them turned, and 500 km's later the one's warped again.

On my 99 I put the CHEAPEST ones I could find ( it was about ~50 bucks CDN a rotor), and I got 2 years out of them. Unforuntately, I dont know the name brand of them, or I'd just buy those ones again. I'm a little iffy on spending big $$$ on rotors when I know I had the cheapest ones around and they outlasted the factory ones for me.

Hmm. The dilemma continues. Thanks for your help