shifts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : shifts

tammikm
07-26-2004, 07:35 PM
is this normal?? Under very LIGHT acceleration my car will shift into OD (4th) gear between 60 - 70 KPH (40MPH). and obviously I have little or no power as the rps are very low (1200-1300). If I take my foot off the gas just for a second while its like this it shifts down right away and its fine. but why is it shifting into OD so early? again it only does this under light acceleration. only mod done to it is the SLP exhaust, which seems to have robbed me of my low end power. feels that way anyways. would a tranny flush fix this?

thanks for any help!!

atc3434
07-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Its completely normal, thats just your car trying to save you as much fuel as possible. The lower it keeps the revs, the better mileage you'll get. When you take your foot off, it doesn't shift down, but the torque converter unlocks. You may or may not know, but the transmission's torque converter actually locks up like a clutch in a regular car, which keeps the rpms lower, and is more effecient than the torque converter, which equals better fuel economy. When you pick your foot up, it assumes you want to coast, and so it unlocks to let the car sort of free wheel. The transmission is even tied in to braking, and will let the motor drag to help slow the car under certain circumstances.

So, nothing is wrong with the transmission, and a fluid flush wouldn't be important unless you have 50k or better on the car. As for the loss in low end with the exhuast, with a completely stock setup, I suppose its possible that you lost a tiny bit of low end, for a strong pull on the top. Most modifications tend to do that, shift the powerband into the higher RPMs.

'01GT
07-27-2004, 04:03 PM
*iagree* Mine shifts into OD at 40 too. That's normal. As far as the exhaust, it didn't take away from the low end power it added to the top end.

tammikm
07-28-2004, 04:28 AM
OK thanks for the replys!!