3.1L bad valve guides, vac prob [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3.1L bad valve guides, vac prob

scotty98GT
07-26-2004, 07:45 PM
I bought my 98 GA GT last may with 63k on it to replace my 93 grand am. It now has 84k on it, but since about November, the car has been burning oil like crazy. It burns so much that it puddles on the pistons and I have to let it clear before I can drive it. I had it inspected, and they told me the valve guides are shot. Isn't that a little early??? I had a 3.1L in my 90 olds, sold it with 280k on it, and its still running with over 300k!!! Well to get to the point, this summer it seems like i lose vac assist for the brakes, like I'll go all the way to the floor and not stopping. Bled the brakes, everything is fine, but it still does it OCCASIONALLY. Yesterday the water pump went, so while im trying to figure out if the grinding is coming from the PS or WP, I just take the oil fill cap off for the heck of it, and the car about dies... If I remember correctly, I should be able to open that while the engine is running. Any idea's? Also, any GM TSB's I should know about for the upper end of this motor (including oil leaks), front suspension, brakes? I can't believe that valve guides can go bad that fast. I can deal with the oil leak, I bought the car knowing 3.1L are notorious for that. Another thing that just popped into my head, in the winter/spring... the cruise control would always shut itself off. The trans would seem like it would upshift/downshift violently, then it would stop. Thinking stupid lock up solenoid, but hasn't done it in about 4 months.

Can we say lemon?

Thanks if you can help me any, just looking for some suggestions!

95-GT
07-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Drop a 3400 with a new 4T60E in there ;) If you need some help, let me know. I am over in St. Heights.

scotty98GT
07-27-2004, 03:16 AM
I considered it... how much you think a junkyard 3.4/tranny setup is? What do you have to change to make it work? I think I could probably manage, shouldn't be that hard... I stuffed a small block into my S10 that I have. I just don't know much about fuel injection, computers, crap like that... so give me a little intro to the 3.1L -> 3.4L swap!

Thanks!