strut oiling? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : strut oiling?

medic1
07-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Has anyone ever heard of having to re-grease the front struts after they have been sitting for awhile? I just bought a 2003 GT that was a demo car (from the dealer). It has 15,000km on it and when I test drove it there was a distictive rattle from the driver side front. The dealer said it was the strut and it needed to be relubricated. I came back the next day and drove it again and haven't heard the sound since. Does this sound right, or is it a big load of $#@! ?

Slim
07-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a load of BS. Struts don't need "oiling", they have oil in them. When it compressed, the strut rod would get covered in a layer of oil.

medic1
07-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Thats what I thought. I asked the dealer to explain it to my mechanic and I don't think we ever really got an answer. Anyway, the noise still pops up every once in a while. I almost sounds like two hollow pieces of plastic being "clicked" together repeatedly. Its really strange. After my first test drive, they said this crap about the strut and that they would "oil/grase/lubricate" it and the next day I took it for another test drive, down the exact same roads, and it was perfectly quiet. Now since I have picked it up after purchase, it is starting every once in a while again.