Cam sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cam sensor

3x3
07-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Is there anyone familiar enough with the cam sensor off of a 1999 3.4L N-Body. I am looking for the specs for the cam sensor alone along with whether it is necessary for the sensor to be as large as it is?

zerogman
07-28-2004, 09:17 PM
cam sensor? What is that? Do you mean crank sensor? There are 2 crank sensors, the 24x is behind the harmonic balancer and is sort of a U-shape, and the 3x is on the back side of the block about in the middle towards the bottom and looks like a rod. Or am I forgetting about one? And most likely, yes, it is necessary to be as large as it is. Car companies generally want to make components as small as possible without going over-priced or losing reliablity, performance, economy, or any of those 3 combined.

hope that helps some, send PM if I am mistaken about the cam sensor. (As in there isn't one) I am fairly certain there isn't one since the crank and cam are mechanically connected by a timing chain that doesn't allow for variable timing of the valves.

- Zero

JS_racer
07-29-2004, 07:01 AM
cam sensor is in the block by the motor mount, in front of the lower intake, 3 wires out of it if i recall corectly. you can see it from the top, look down the belt area. If you stand at the motor mount, it will be by your right shoulder or left of that. My memory seems short this morning.
Hope this helps

The cam sensor is small, it cant get any smaller

zerogman
08-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Ah yes, I know what you mean now... it's held in by one screw... Heh, I never thought of it as a cam sensor and just ignored it figuring it had some use because in my opinion, a car with a timing chain and not a timing belt will not slip and lose its perfect timing... Although, I guess in the event that if it jumped a slot, it would be off by a bit and it would need that sensor to notice it.

Anyway, if I remember, that sensor is the exact size it needs to be :) Basically, I believe it functions the same as the two crank sensors where it's basically a magnet that produces a frequency caused by the rotation of the cam, the frequency changes when a niche in the cam rotates past it, and that is how the computer knows where the cam is. Although, I am assuming that the cam sensor operates the same as the crank sensors then... And yes, they do need to be fairly good-sized because there are 2 things that destroy magnets... Heat and vibration... the two things your engine will produce a lot of... so it needs to be large enough so it will last and hold a small current so that it will last as long as the engine theoretically.

The one 3x3 was thinking is really large, are you maybe thinking of the knock sensor? It's a small puck shaped sensor on the front of the block to the right of the oil filter.

Hope I was of help...

- Zero

3x3
08-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Thank you Zerogman! :thumbs:

That's exactly what I was looking to find out. Thanks for taking the time to explain. This helps a lot.

zerogman
08-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Heh, yay! Someone who appreciates me! :-D And guess what, this will be a record shortest post for me!

- Zero