MAF sensor question/problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : MAF sensor question/problem

grandamgtdriver
07-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey everyone,

First off, I know very little about cars, so bare with me My car has been hesitating, kinda like a bunch of "hiccups" when I accelerate for the past month and a bit. I finally brought my car into my shop and they told me my computer has given them MAF errors and spark plug wire errors. Apparently, one of my wires needs to be replaced (which means all six). Anyways, I will replace the wires for sure because it has never been done as far as I know (my car is a 2000). As for the MAF sensor, I heard that this part can be cleaned? How do I know if it needs to be cleaned or replaced? Where is this thing located? GM parts told me it cost $308 CDN for the part. Also, should I replace the wires first to see if this cures the problem before I go ahead with both parts? My shop told me that the problem I'm having could be a combination of problems with both the wires and MAF sensor.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Craig99SE2
07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
MAF sensors very rarely go bad. I'd replace the wires and then play it by ear ...

There really is nothing to clean. If you do decide to try, be VERY careful to not touch anything in there. I would remove the airbox lid to expose the MAF opening and with the car running, give it short bursts of TB Cleaner.

If you need a new one, I am selling a Granatelli MAF for $200 shipped.