What is this [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What is this

GAGTSCTGuy
07-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Don't mind the dirty engine.

What is this (in the close up picture). I just noticed a black build up on it, is that normal, it wipes easily, but I didn't look like it should be there.

iceman
07-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Pcv

GAGTSCTGuy
07-28-2004, 01:23 PM
This too is a PCV value also right? I think that is what it was called when I installed my CAI.

Does the build up mean I have to change it? From what I've read it, it looked like they should be changed around 30K, which I am far from.

edit: Thanks iceman for the quick response first pass.

XtremeGaGt00
07-28-2004, 03:46 PM
u know on them pcv valves all you gotta do is clean them if you got some brake cleaner around or somthing, all you need it to do it rattle when u shake it...

2003GAGT
07-28-2004, 04:38 PM
If it doesn't rattle when you shake it, buy a new one. They are generally cheap.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
If this PCV value is bad, would it cause it to leak, or whatever, resulting in the heavy build up as shown in the picture?

AaronGAGT
07-28-2004, 06:30 PM
If this PCV value is bad, would it cause it to leak, or whatever, resulting in the heavy build up as shown in the picture?

Its a valve man! Not value. and that one on the CAI tube isnt a PCV valve. And if you havent replaced it and it looks dirty as hell and wont rattle when shaken, then spend the $2.29 and take 50 seconds to replace it. No need to cause panic.

atc3434
07-28-2004, 07:34 PM
The tube running into the CAI is, as Aaron said, not part of the PCV system, it is part of the EGR system, which recirculates some exhaust gases back though the engine for emissions purposes. Its requires no service or cleaning unless it malfunctions. For 2 bucks, I'd just replace a faulty PCV valve. Its purpose is to allow the engine to vent any air buildup inside the engine. A stuck PCV valve usually will cause exseive oil consumption due to pressure in the crankcase, forcing oil to blow by the piston rings. The buildup you see near your valve isn't nessicarly because its stuck. These valves don't fit perfect, and are susceptible to a little bit of oil leakage, like yours. Nothing to worry about, just keep it clean.

GAGTSCTGuy
07-29-2004, 03:55 AM
Its a valve man! Not value.

yeah yeah yeah, typos, what can you do. I wasn't thinking completely straight when typing any of these posts because, everyone was repeating what iceman was saying, not answering my other questions.

""

Thanks guys

On more question, maybe Dr. Kyle can answer this one, why is the item in my second set of pictures called a PCV valve in the instructions for Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI?

tenspeed
07-29-2004, 05:09 AM
What is this (in the close up picture). I just noticed a black build up on it, is that normal, it wipes easily, but I didn't look like it should be there.

To answer your question, it just some oil that oozes out around the grommet. Just clean it up. It it really bothers you or if it is excessive, replace the grommet with the PCV.

CelticSkyhawk
07-29-2004, 08:55 PM
It's the same type of valve as the PCV valve. PCV refers to its purpose in that position, where as on your CAI it has nothing to do with PCV. My guess is they called it that for lack of a better term or due to it looking just like a PCV valve.

preed4962
07-30-2004, 07:22 AM
The tube running into the CAI is, as Aaron said, not part of the PCV system, it is part of the EGR system, which recirculates some exhaust gases back though the engine for emissions purposes. Its requires no service or cleaning unless it malfunctions.

There is no way that the valve pictured on the CAI is part of the EGR system. With temperatures of the exhaust gas that run through the EGR system being regularly around 1000 degrees, the lightweight plastic that the valve and tube are made out of in that picture would melt! The EGR system pretty much sits directly next to the exhaust manifold will have a STEEL pipe that injects the exhaust gas directly back into the intake manifold, not somewhere near the throttle body where the CAI is.

-Paul

Craig99SE2
07-30-2004, 08:30 AM
You guys are goofy! The tube running to the intake (CAI in above pic) is part of the PCV system. It is NOT part of the EGR!! The only EGR components on our cars are the corrugated tube from the rear manifold to the EGR valve on the UIM.

To answer the original post, a slightly clogged PCV will cause slight oil residue to blow past the valve and make those deposits. Don't bother cleaning it ... just go to AutoZone and buy a new one for $1.50.

mr_eh
07-30-2004, 08:33 AM
the thing running into the intake is a breather from the cam crank case crapamabob and it just spits extra air into the intake

...i'll never understand why people put breather filters on there instead of spitting it into the intake, why would a little air into the intake hurt anything...

Craig99SE2
07-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Because as the engine ages, valve seal blow-by causes oil residue to blow in the intake. ANY component in the loop of the PCV system will eventually get a film of oil on it. Oil in the intake manifolds isn't the best thing for performance! Your best bet for performance is to plug all PCV holes in the UIM and replace the PCV and the tube on the rear valve cover with breathers. No more stuck PCV worries!

FWIW - Go take a look at a Jeep 2.5L or 4.0L after about 60K miles! Those engines have horrible stock valve seals! I have one right now that when I took the intake tube off the TB it looked like someone literally poured 1/4 quart in the intake! It was actually puddling in the intake manifold!

mr_eh
07-30-2004, 09:13 AM
*nod* well thats pretty informative, i have a 4cyl so my pcv comes off the front near the im (not the rear) but i will be changing mine to a breather asap

GAGTSCTGuy
07-30-2004, 09:21 AM
To answer the original post, a slightly clogged PCV will
cause slight oil residue to blow past the valve and make those deposits. Don't bother cleaning it ... just go to AutoZone and buy a new one for $1.50.

Thanks Craig.

I wasn't trying to clean it, I was cleaning the metal around the seal. I'm not sure what it is call (I'm still learning all the names of these piece.) But in the middle is the oil cap. Could someone tell me what it is called.

But anyways... I go get a new one and change it. Is this right that I have to change it this early? The car is only 8 months old, and has about 6,300 miles on it. Seem a little early for these types of things to need changing.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Craig99SE2
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah, sure does seem a bit early. They aren't the highest quality of products ... maybe you got a bum one ...

2003GAGT
08-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks Craig.

I wasn't trying to clean it, I was cleaning the metal around the seal. I'm not sure what it is call (I'm still learning all the names of these piece.) But in the middle is the oil cap. Could someone tell me what it is called.

But anyways... I go get a new one and change it. Is this right that I have to change it this early? The car is only 8 months old, and has about 6,300 miles on it. Seem a little early for these types of things to need changing.

Thanks everyone for the help.
The part you were cleaning is called a valve cover.

GAGTSCTGuy
08-02-2004, 05:41 PM
So you actually pour oil into one of the value covers? Or does the oil go straight to the pan?

That may seem like a stupid question, but I'm still learning all this stuff.

2000GA
08-02-2004, 06:35 PM
yup thats a valve cover you pour it into, and then it works its way down to the bottom.

craig speeks the truth. we replaced the exhaust maifold on a 4.0 jeep last weekend, and that intake manifold was putrid. lots of throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush cleaned it up though.

fschambe
08-02-2004, 06:56 PM
... Your best bet for performance is to plug all PCV holes in the UIM and replace the PCV and the tube on the rear valve cover with breathers. No more stuck PCV worries!...
And when the seals are destroyed from the acidic vapors building up instead of being removed through the PCV and every cylinder of your engine dialing in at a "whopping " 25psi of total compression during a stroke then you'll have GREAT performance!

Craig99SE2
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Oh bull****! I guess that is why all the old Chevy and Ford SB and BB engines have no power and only last a year or two at most. Dude, listen for the pop ... it is your head coming out of your arse for the first time!

You guys are so gullible form reading BS like this on the net! Engines have not had PCV valves until emissions BS was invented! In older engines, there was a breather on the valve cover and the seal blow-by pumped oily-air into the atmosphere.

Since Al Gore invented the internet, we now need to save the whales so some brainiac decided to pump this "oily air" back into the intake so it *might* burn being that it is a petroleum product and all ... but no, it just gums your manifolds up and kills performance.

Do what you want but don't patronize me, a$$hole, with your GREAT performance... :rolleyes: