serpentine belt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : serpentine belt

BiHStL
07-28-2004, 08:44 PM
what is a decent price to have this replaced. I was told today that mine is starting to crack, but i should be ok, but still into getting a new one within 6months to a year. Midas said they can do it for 100, does that sound ok?

Also what is a decent price for a tranny flush, im almost at 50,000 miles and wanna get one done in the next 5,000 miles or so.

zerogman
07-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Well, you can do the serpentine belt yourself no problem... Although I just realized that the stupid belt is wraps around the engine mount so it needs to be unbolted so you can slide the old belt off and the new belt on. So I guess from a "I don't want to risk breaking something large on my car" stand-point, get them to give you the $100 dollar estimate, and make them stick to it. You can do the replacement yourself, but it's hard to unless you have a hydraulic jack to support the engine once you remove the engine mount. I know it will most likely be OK without support, but when it comes to the engine, you don't want to risk it in my opinion.

Hope that helps some!

- Zero

Black Z28
07-28-2004, 09:19 PM
no, you dont have to unbolt anything, i assure you. you just put a wrench on the belt tensioner, turn it and remove the belt. 100 buck is a lot of money to replace a belt.

BiHStL
07-28-2004, 09:23 PM
really, that easy?

BiHStL
07-28-2004, 09:24 PM
ill think about it, maybe ill try myself, and if i cant, ill have midas do it for me. Ill wait a lil while though, Too much **** to pay for right now lol

Mike Jung
07-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Serpentine Belt Replacement (http://www.grandamgt.com/belt.html)

I believe the labour book rate is 1-hour.

& GoodYear Gatorback Poly-V belts (http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GA3007&Product_Count=5&Category_Code=GAUNDER) are :thumbs:

kamikaz16
07-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Its a PITA if you don't have a hydraulic lift lying around. Advance Auto Parts rated the serpentine belt to cost $22, but it was $77 at NAPA (and my mechanic brother in law got it for $35). Easy enough to do without having to go to a mechanic.

BiHStL
07-28-2004, 10:27 PM
would the dealer do it for less then 100 $? if he would, ill just get it done at my next oil change.

Panacea
07-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Dealer should be under $100.

As for the tranny flush, the dealer charged like $80 for everything.

My service manager said GM's got a new type of serpentine belt that's supposed to last 100,000 miles and stuff. Made out of something new. Supposed to come on all the new models.

BiHStL
07-28-2004, 10:42 PM
thanks for the replys

tenspeed
07-29-2004, 05:33 AM
It depends on what engine you have.

If it's a V6, you have to support the engine and unbolt the motor mount to slip the belt thru.

If it's a 4, just loosen the tensioner and slip the new belt on.

Slim
07-29-2004, 05:58 AM
no, you dont have to unbolt anything, i assure you. you just put a wrench on the belt tensioner, turn it and remove the belt. 100 buck is a lot of money to replace a belt.

You do have to unbolt the upper engine mount bolts. Sure you don't have to remove them to get the old belt off (you can cut it), but you definitely need to in order to get the new belt on.