Has anyone ever had this? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had this?

medic1
07-29-2004, 11:37 AM
I just bought a 2003 GAGT demo car with 15000K on it. There is a rattling noise coming from the top of the drivers side front strut tower. It was present on my test drive and was supposedly fixed. It started again a couple of days after I took delivery of the car. The dealership says that its the rubber in the tower, around the bearing plate thats causing the noise and that it just needs to be lubricated. I would prefer if they fixed the problem instead of just putting a "bandaid" solution to it. Anyone have any ideas or have had the similiar problem?

zerogman
07-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Yeah, you aren't the only that has had this most likely... Anywho, you have a '03 so most likely you already have the updated nut that holds the upper strut bearing/mount to the strut. You can check by looking at it if you like, it will be a large nut with a big spacer on it. The other nuts wouldn't tighten to spec sometimes so if you ever removed it, and didn't get it tightened to spec on installation, it can cause the bearing to go bad again rather quickly... Anywho, this problem can be cause by not having the main nut that holds the bearing/mount to the strut or by hitting a rather HARD bump... Those are the two most common causes... wait, the 3rd most common cause is inappropriate installation of the bearing/mount to the strut itself... Heh, but hopefully that won't be the case!

Anywho, they should replace them for you, and if anything you can ask to take a look at them, and if it's really bad you can see what looks like hash marks on the top in the lip and maybe the bearing itself will have an enlarged and stretched hole. Usually if it's that bad though, you will notice that your alignment is REALLY off...

Anywho, I hoped that helped some, I know my description of the new nut is vague, so if you want to take a pic of it and e-mail me it, I can tell you if it's the new or old. Hope I was of help!

- Zero

medic1
07-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the help. During hard bumps however the noise doesn't seem to be there. It is more or less with the minor imperfections in the road. I will take a look and see if that nut is there or not. I have an appt. with the dealership to have it looked at next week. Thanks again, I will let you know what they find.

medic1
08-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Well, they fixed the so called "non-problem".....the first time I took the car in to the dealer, I came back and they said "no fault found".....so after I got mad at the guy and then took him for a drive and pointed it out he said "oh, thats not right"......no kidding I replied......anyways...long story short......strut mount, strut mount seal and strut mount nut replaced. Apparently it was a little more than nothing...lol

grandam-wpg
08-04-2004, 07:57 PM
I have been living with the problem for a few months now. When I took it to the stealer they couldnt find the problem. I demanded them to drive it again and listen. Then they heard the rattleing. They said its your strut mounts, we will lube them for you. So they did, and the sound was gone. Well guess what, after a week the noise was back just a little more muffled, and now I have a squeek when going over dips in the road. I am going to Midas Monday, screw the dealer for suspention problems.

My sugestion is like most above: Go back and tell them to do it right, or it will start happening again soon.