Important oil pressure light question!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Important oil pressure light question!!!

Redhot97GAGT
07-29-2004, 05:14 PM
I just got an oil and filter change. Now every once in a while the oil pressure light will go on. It usually happens when I'm idling at a light and goes off as soon as I accelerate through the light. This never happened before, the oil is full and there are no visible leaks. This is the second change that I am using mobil 1 could that have something to do with it? The manual says that "the light can come on briefly, which is normal and doesn't show a problem", but I never saw it before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

zerogman
07-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Heh, wow, I never knew that they came with an oil pressure light... Although, maybe the 4th Gen Grand Am has a seperate oil level and oil pressure light, because the one red oil light comes on with low oil and low oil pressure... This problem occurs usually when there is a slow leak in the system. Oil pressure has a bit higher pressure then coolant/anti-freeze so it won't be as forgiving. Anywho, most likely this is just a minor goof on whomever did your last oil change... The oil filter bypass valve and the oil filter fitting have a gasket that goes over the valve and stud that holds the oil filter. This gasket is usually forgotten since it doesn't serve much purpose in my opinion, but there is one none the less... A more troublesome problem could be that your engine might have a minor oil leak somewhere, if it's not visibly dripping oil, check for residue on the bottom of the oil pan. There might be a bad gasket somewhere, most likely oil pan gasket, or maybe your main bearing the holds the crankshaft between the block and the oil pan.

Anywho, I hope that helped some! Send a PM if you would like further advice.

- Zero

tenspeed
07-29-2004, 08:33 PM
The manual says that "the light can come on briefly, which is normal and doesn't show a problem", but I never saw it before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would believe the manual. You have a eigth year old car with around 100k miles. The internal parts of the engine are worn. When the engine is hot, the parts expand. When you idle, the pressure is low and the light comes on. Just keep the crankcase full and forget about it.