Situation specific SES [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Situation specific SES

Licit
07-30-2004, 07:03 PM
I read the "SES in general" thread but had an SES come on after a very specific situation, wondering if others had this. I haven't done highway driving for almost a year and then did yesterday. When I got back in town the SES light went off. Has anyone had an SES light after a long period of city driving and then a day of highway? The car runs fine, sounds fine, fluids are fine, so I question.
As a second note is Autozone's free scan really free? I thought you had to sign something that says they do the work if any work is necessary via the code they pull.

damaster89
07-31-2004, 01:39 AM
Yeah Autozones free code reading thingie is free. I went there last week because I had a SES light on and they checked it for free. It was some O2 sensor triggering the light to come on. Just go there and have them do it.

preed4962
08-02-2004, 10:23 AM
...especially considering AutoZone isn't a repair facility, just a parts store (at least in Upstate NY)

-Paul

Licit
08-03-2004, 06:31 AM
Light went off for a day or so and then came back on yesterday. Guess I will run it by Autozone. They do have a service area here in Bloomington and do most anything except for tranny or specialty work. I talked to someone at work and found out they do have you sign something saying they can do the work based on the code. There is a small fee if you say they cannot do anything after scanning.

firecat
08-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I got my ses light coming on also..but it only comes on at low speeds if you step on the gas hard,the car will sputter a bit and the ses light will start to flash..it will flash for a minute or two and go back out..if i let the gas off the car going down a hill and once i get back on it at the bottom it will sputter a bit and the light will flash,i put on a new fuel and air filter..still the same thing..any ideas would be helpfull..Thanks..ps..we don't have Autozone here in Cape-Bretion and the dealer is over a two hour drive.

Licit
08-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Firecat you should be able to take it to a garage closer to you and get the code read. Alot of places around here will run $30 to $50 for an engine diagnostic. My light has gone off once again. I called the dealer and asked what they thought and he said typically the on and off of the light can mean poor fuel mileage, air/fuel ratio, something like that. He told me to give it a few more days and if still coming on and off then get a scan.

Mike Jung
08-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I got my ses light coming on also..but it only comes on at low speeds if you step on the gas hard,the car will sputter a bit and the ses light will start to flash..it will flash for a minute or two and go back out..if i let the gas off the car going down a hill and once i get back on it at the bottom it will sputter a bit and the light will flash,i put on a new fuel and air filter..still the same thing..any ideas would be helpfull..Thanks..ps..we don't have Autozone here in Cape-Bretion and the dealer is over a two hour drive.

From the GA owner's manual:

S.E.S. light flashing = a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increase vehicle emissions & may damage the emission control system on your vehicle.

If flashing:
-reduce vehicle speed
-avoid hard accelerations
-avoid steep uphill grades
-reduce & carry no extra cargo/weight

If the light continues to flash (when driving):
- STOP the car, when safe to do so
- turn car off, wait 10 seconds & restart engine (& prey that the light stops flashing)
- If it doesn't, drive it to the dealer or garage (while following the above notes - if flashing)

Mis-fire = BAD!

Maybe needs:
new spark plugs & wires,
ignition coils,
fuel injector flush/cleaning via fuel system rail (it might be clogged)
BAD batch of gasoline
clogged catalytic converter

Flashing SERVICE ENGINE SOON light means severe mis-firing currently happening.

Flashing S.E.S. light also means DON'T run car! Possible engine or converter damange could result.