ALC not turning headlamps off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ALC not turning headlamps off

XMBlackGT1
07-30-2004, 07:48 PM
I have a slight problem with my 03 GT coupe. Couple of days ago, drove the car home from work at night, shut it off, and the headlamps stayed on. I know there is a delay, then they usually go off. Well, in this case, they stayed on. The headlamps, park lamps, and tail lamps stayed on. I ended up unhooking the battery to get them to go off. Rehooked the battery up, tried it the next night- same problem. (NO, the headlamp switch was NOT TURNED ON. It was set to "Auto") Now, granted, this is the car that has been thru h*** and back. I'm sure when it was in the huge accident before I bought it that there were wiring issues that weren't repaired properly. Here's the question- Where do I start to look or what should I do to fix this problem. I CAN'T take the car to Pontiac- The car is in a huge lawsuit and Pontiac can't legally touch the car while its in the lawsuit- I guess that nothing can be done to the car except for oil changes. I dont want to screw this lawsuit up, so i would like to try to solve the problem myself. Any ideas where I should start? Thanks for the info.

2000GA
07-30-2004, 09:44 PM
I would look at the wires around the BCM. I know when i had a loose connection when i installed my DRL kit my lights would be on whenever the car was running. I would have to assume other strange headlight behavior would come from the same area. porbably worth a shot to check out.

question though, why dont you drive your orange one if the balck one is having a bunch of problems?

tenspeed
07-31-2004, 08:26 AM
On my '96 Achieva, the DRL's would not always turn off. Sometimes they would turn off then relight again with the car parked. They were getting power from a circuit breaker in the drivers side fuse panel. Instead of tossing money at a old car, I put a piece of duct tape on the breaker and removed it when I parked for the night.

It probably needs the BCM replaced but pulling the breaker will save your battery until the lawsuit is over. You could take the car to a local repair shop instead of the dealership.

XMBlackGT1
07-31-2004, 08:19 PM
question though, why dont you drive your orange one if the balck one is having a bunch of problems?

I'd rather put the miles on a car that I am 99% sure that I'm getting rid of in the near future, rather than on a car that I plan on keeping for a long time. Plus, there is bunch of road work going on by my house- something about water pipes sticking up 5 inches in the road, and a Grand Am sitting on H&R lowering springs dont go together well. I tore an oil pan out of my 92 achieva on a water pipe sticking out of the road, that I didnt see.

I'm going to jiggle some wires around and see if that might solve the problem, otherwise I'll just pull the headlamp fuse when I shut the car off. 50 days and hopefully its a gonner! Lawsuit was served yesterday.

mr_eh
08-01-2004, 04:18 AM
battery kill switch?