brakes rubbing??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : brakes rubbing???

dennistowell
07-31-2004, 12:01 PM
well i have read like 50 posts on this now and all i can find is the creeking noise that people are having when coming to a stop. Well mine question is that my brakes are rubbing/squeking when i am just driving and then it goes away when i
apply the brakes to stop. So i as just wondering if this is the same problem as the other guys are having and will lubing up the slidding bolts fix the problem?

thanks for the help

applexpanther
07-31-2004, 03:39 PM
mine do that scraping noise when im going a slow speed and turning at slow speeds. and they 'FAIL" completely if i apply the brake quite firmly. So it sounds like brake pads worn and rotors being warped. also if you leave ur car just sitting around for a while, they can be kinda scrapy sounding till they break in again. I recomened getting any noise checked out, u dont wanna have ur brakes screw up and run into something and ruin something.

pongagt
07-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Other then the creeking that i believe is caused by the control arm bushings, mine is making a light scraping noise. I think it is caused by the ridges left on the edges of my rear rotors from being worn where the pads contact them. They scrape on the edges of the pads. My front rotors were just changed and everything lubed up so i now it isn't that. I have heard of some Grand Ams where a creeking noise was coming from the caliper piston however. Make sure you pull both slider pins and grease as if they cease, your inner and outer brake pads will wear terribly uneven.

dennistowell
07-31-2004, 11:32 PM
well i know the scrapping is not coming from worn brake pads or warped rotors because i just changed them today. i was do for a brake job anyways and when the scraping sound cam eup last week i finally went ahead and did it. i was hoping that changing the front pads and rotors would take care of the problem but it didnt. so anymore thoughts as to why it my be doing this?

applexpanther
09-28-2004, 10:39 PM
ive taken my car in about 400 times because of the front end scraping noise. and they can never seem to fix it no matter what dealer ship ive taken it to. although theyve determined that the scraping noise disapears when the load is off the wheels. that doesnt help me much. i gues ill just replace every single part on my entire car, then maybe itll be gone :P

action
09-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Did you use the blue silicone glue to glue the pad to the caliper piston??? Some pad sets dont come with any, most do though, and it can be bought seperatly. All it does is glue the pad to piston so that when you release the brake, it pulls the pad away from the rotor to prevent squeeking.

atc3434
09-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I get that light brushing scraping sound, its a hard spot on a slightly warped rotor. You can turn the rotor, but it'll usually come right back after a few stops. Not much you can do about it, aftermarket rotors usually won't do this, but the stock replacements usually develop this syndrome after a little time. As for the creaking noise when you stop, thats not meaning your brakes are toast, its the backing material on the pads scruntching up. Do a search on the creak if you would like to know more about it, its been gone over pretty good a few times.

atc3434
09-29-2004, 08:29 PM
is are cars all disc breaks around...? i know dumb question cause my friend was asking me i think they are... i was told if disk brakes front and wear be easy too do..........

SE = Disk Brakes in front, drums in rear. The GT is disk brakes all around. What I want to know is what this means/is asking? i was told if disk brakes front and wear be easy too do.......... Is that English? (BTW, if your native language isn't English, I appologize)

grandam01
03-25-2005, 11:04 PM
ok so my car makes the sounds as if the brake clip (clip that tells you how close your pads are getting to the rotor) is hitting the rortor, yet these are brand new pads i put on, and also it doesn't make this noise when i apply pressure only when im going up to about 20mph, and it does it when im turning, could this be wapred rotors?

Braves299
03-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Check your tire pressure.

grandam01
03-25-2005, 11:27 PM
did its set at 33 psi, these are brand spankin new tires. kumho ecsta asx, 225/50 16

grandam01
03-26-2005, 10:43 PM
hmmm i figured it out, my neighbor was a mechanic, i had him come over and help me out, and we figured out that the problem was teh rotors were glazed due to the fact that i did not turn the rotors, so what we did was get some Emery cloth, its pretty much a light sand paper that gets rid of the glaze and gets the new pads used to the rotors.

so if you just changed the brakes on the stock rotors try this it helped me out.