Key wont turn in Ignition!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key wont turn in Ignition!!!

Rba007
08-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Today I went to go to work, and my key would not turn once i got it into the ignition. I tried about 4 times, and finally got into my jeep (even though it was raining and the top was off, still beats walking to work i suppose).

Parents tried it later in the day and it still didnt work. Then, when I got home at 1030, i gave it a shot again and it turned and started up normally. What gives?

I have had an intermittent security light on occasion, which always goes out when the car is restarted. It occasionally comes on while im driving... Any thoughts?? Id really like to not get stranded again...

-Dave

kubiache
08-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Try shaking the steering wheel while turning the key. I've never heard of it happening with GAs, but I've seen it fairly commonly in older Hondas.

ruckus63
08-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Never had that one......
Another thing........with the older cars of yesteryear.......try shifting into neutral and back.

Rba007
08-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Hmph. Just wondering what the heck coudl be the problem here... Isnt there some sort of ignition cylinder or something back there? I have no idea what itd be called.

mwolverines
08-01-2004, 11:09 PM
i had same problem with my copied key. if i put it in 1 way it would work. if i flip it over it wont. the original is fine. did u get a copy? or maybe the stock key got nic'd some how

Rba007
08-01-2004, 11:12 PM
We tried two different keys, and neither worked. One of them was a copy, however the one i usually use is an original.... Pesky machines. Now that its working, it just makes me weary to do my usual 45 minute each way drive to school here in a few weeks. Dont want to get stranded in allendale.... Its like hell only it smells like cow crap there.